Purpose for pipe vent; single basin kitchen sink setup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torin

Reaction score
Hi,

We live in Arizona. Pictured is our current setup. We're getting a single basin sink with a new disposal and all new pipes and shut off valves. Circled in red is a 'vent' I think... But I'm not sure what its purpose is and if we need to factor one in to our new setup. If anything it's irritating as it spits out water when we run our disposal with running water. I cover it with a paper towel to catch the water. If it's not needed in our future setup that would be great.

I found a blog that captured what we want our future setup to be and it looks simple enough. We're going to attempt to do it ourselves. Blog referenced: https://www.majhofftakesawife.com/n...ll-downsizing-double-sink-drains-down-to-one/

Current setup. Circled in red is the 'vent'.
Screenshot_20190704-080935_Gallery.jpg

Future setup (taken from a blog, linked above) but we'll make sure to loop the dishwasher hose so that it's not hanging on the ground or close to it.
The-Winning-Plumbing-set-up.jpg

Hi,

We live in Arizona. Pictured is our current setup. We're getting a single basin sink with a new disposal and all new pipes and shut off valves. Circled in red is a 'vent' I think... But I'm not sure what its purpose is and if we need to factor one in to our new setup. If anything it's irritating as it spits out water when we run our disposal with running water. I cover it with a paper towel to catch the water. If it's not needed in our future setup that would be great.

I found a blog that captured what we want our future setup to be and it looks simple enough. We're going to attempt to do it ourselves. Blog referenced: https://www.majhofftakesawife.com/n...ll-downsizing-double-sink-drains-down-to-one/

Current setup. Circled in red is the 'vent'.
View attachment 21316

Future setup (taken from a blog, linked above) but we'll make sure to loop the dishwasher hose so that it's not hanging on the ground or close to it.
View attachment 21317
i usually use a plastic clip and get it as high as possible or zip tie it to the clips that secure the sink to the counter

That was not a vent. That was likely an earlier connection for the dishwasher, before it was tied into the disposal.

The vent is downstream of the trap and likely inside the wall.

That looks like an old RO drain that's been abandoned and not capped. Was there by chance a reverse osmosis system under there at one point in time?

Latest posts

Back