BEER!! The official thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried Stella a few times on tab and I just don't like it. I tend to drink more Newcastle, Black&Tans, darker beers.

I got to go to the Netherlands for 2 weeks a few years ago, and they had a local beer called Jopen Koyt. It was GREAT! And Newcastle and Amstel are SO much better in Europe than in America...

Beck's tastes somewhat skunky because of the color of the bottle. Same with Corona. Light penetrating the light colored bottle reacts with compounds in the beer to make the skunky flavor/aroma. If I bottle beer in lighter colored bottles, I keep it well hidden until drinking time.

"Hello to All",

BRad704`s comments are a confirmation of the `obvious` - people who like any kind of `Ale` or `Darker Beer` will not like Lager - how ever `Good` a Lager drinker may say that it is.

I should have stated that Stella Artois is a Lager - with a `fairly distinctive` taste - BUT those Gentlemen [and Ladies ?] amongst us who drink `Ales` - `Dark Beers` - Stouts & `Porters` - would probably NOT like it.

I do know people who drink Newcastle Brown Ale - This is a `British Beer` that is `On its Own` in most of the U.K. - as NOTHING else like it exists in England and Wales - although there MAY be a `similar` Beer available in Scotland - where MOST of the `Ales` and Beers are NOT available in any other part of the U.K. - as they are TOTALLY Different from the Beers in England and Wales.

Newcastle Brown Ale is `Fully Available` all over the U.K. - so it must have a `Good Following` of Drinkers - BUT - it is definitely `An Acquired Taste` - as are most `Unusual Beers - `Worldwide` - it is NOT even like other `Brown Ales`.

I was hoping to hear from someone who had tried some Stella Artois since I mentioned it on here - It would be `best` if they were a `Lager Drinker` - or perhaps Budweiser - which I often drink at an American Friends Home - Budweiser is NOT like Stella Artois - but as it is `similar` to a Lager a Budweiser drinker MIGHT `appreciate` Stella - ??

I DON`T mean to `Insult` the U.S. Brewing Industry - with my `Ignorance` of American Beers - but I really don`t
know the names of any other U.S. Beers - My American Friend is `Proud` of Budweiser as a U.S. Beer and I do know that the Brewer is a `Huge` Organisation - which I think one of my U.S. Colleagues stated in an earlier Post actually Imports Stella Artois into the U.S. [?].

Budweiser is available in most `Off Licences` and Large Supermarkets in the U.K. - it is very `popular` here - mostly with `Young Men`.

I think that MY contribution to the `BEER` topic may have `stalled` here - ??

"Regards to Everyone",

CHRISM.

Last edited:
Chrism,

Please tell me you have heard of Coor's Light? That is my beer of choice, provided I am not on a diet. I have 8 more pounds to go, and look out Coor's stock!

havasu pics (31).jpg

ChrisM, I have drank Stella Artois on several different occasions. It is a good beer, for sure. Lately, however, my tastes are running more to the darker or hoppier beers. I do like lagers, but since I don't have the facilities neccesary to make lagers, I drink mostly ales.

Over the New Year's I picked up a sixpack of Paulaner Munich Lager. It is a little darker than Stella, with a little more body and a citrusy sweet flavor. That is one of my favorite lagers.

An ale that you might enjoy, if you can find it, is a Kolsch. This style is nearly impossible to find on store shelves around here, so the only way I got to try it was by brewing it. It is brewed with an specific ale yeast strain that likes fermenting at colder temperatures.

Okay. Yesterday I picked up a six pack of Stella Artois. I liked it.
I had 2 beers with my lunch.
The first right from the bottle, the 2nd in a cold glass.
Made a nice foamy head when I poured it into a glass.
Kind of taste like Becks and/or Steinlager. I'd have to drink each one like you would at a wine tasting event to realy comment on any differences.
Got a phone call, my services were needed, had to go to work. Darn.
We usually have Miller Genuine Draft which is a much milder tasting lager but in my opinion has a lot more flavor than Coors or BUD

Like you said , it is an acquired taste, like any thing else. Let me see if I can find the right words to describe this. It has a lot to do with what is on the local menu. I live in southern California near Mexico. Drinking Tequila
has a very much so acquired taste and is very popular here.
I would think upstate it is not so popular.
Back to topic- BEER

I really don't know why anyone drinks Coors or Bud. I used to along time ago.
They do not have very much taste to them. Almost like drinking water.
It's an acquired taste I guess.
I like my food spicy and with lots of flavor.
Maybe my taste buds are not as sensitive as others.
I really did not know the difference from a lager and an ale so I googled it.
This is what I found

As Per the Brewmaster of the San Francisco Brewing Company
What's the difference between an ale, a lager, and a porter?

Allan Responds:
All beers are either ale beers or lager beers. There are several hybrids or exceptions, but basically consider these two families of beer to contain all the major beer styles.

The difference lies in the type of yeast used. Ales use "top fermenting" yeast (saccaromyces cervisiae) which ferments warmer and faster and rises to the top during fermentation, while lagers use a "bottom fermenting" yeast (either saccaromyces uvarium or carlsbergensis) that is slower, needs a colder atmosphere and tends to sink to the bottom during fermantaton. Before the advent of refrigeration, essentially all beers were ale beers. When refrigeration became widely available, the cold-loving lager yeast became popular.

Current research has muddied the clear distinction between ales and lagers. nevertheless, the lager vs. ale yeast designation is useful.

Within the ale family of beers are many styles such as: mild ales, bitters, brown ales, stouts, and porters. Porter is a dark ale that is rich and full flavored. I have heard some experts say that a porter should be dry, others think it should be sweet. Some years ago the style nearly died out. In general, most agree that a porter has less dark malt character and less alcohol than a stout.

I'm sorry but MGD gives me the squirts, bad! (You know, it's the water....you should see how many people piddle in that water directly upstream from the plant!)

While boating, it is not advised to drink a heavy beer with the heat. They also recommend to drink one beer, then a water, then a beer, etc. Drinking Coors Light saves me the entire step of drinking water between the beers! :p

I'm sorry but MGD gives me the squirts, bad! (You know, it's the water....you should see how many people piddle in that water directly upstream from the plant!)

While boating, it is not advised to drink a heavy beer with the heat. They also recommend to drink one beer, then a water, then a beer, etc. Drinking Coors Light saves me the entire step of drinking water between the beers! :p

I do the same just with Bud Light.

"Hello Gentlemen",

"Thanks for Your replies",

"Hi Havasu" - I have heard of Coors & Coors Light - both I think can be obtained here in the U.K. - though NOT `readily` available - would probably have to be `Ordered in` via a local `Off Licence` [ Liqour Store].

"Hi Phishfood" - "Thanks" for the recommendations - although I think that I would have a problem trying to get any of those Beers.

Because the U.K. is very small in relation to even some of the States in the U.S. [?] - I can state with some confidence that IF a Beer was available in the U.K. - I would have at least `heard` of it.
Obviously I mean any Beer that is consumed by a `decent number` of people - word would `get round` - and I do meet people from all over the U.K.
on a regular basis.

I will check online - where as You know - one can find almost anything - but I doubt whether I will find a `Local Supplier`.

"Hi MrDavid" - "Thanks" for the Information about the various Beers - I did know that the Brewing Process - Yeast - Barley etc. was different regarding what type of Beer was produced - but your Info. was `concise`.

Your comment about the kind of Food that You eat and Your Palate is interesting - I LOVE `Spicey` Food - Indian especially - Restaurants CANNOT make Dishes `Hot Enough` for Me - I KNOW that this is NOT really the way that I should want Indian Food - BUT - I do like it `HOT`. - Yet I can still `taste` the different Lagers - Stella Artois - Kronenburgh - Becks - Holsten Pils - etc.

I don`t mean that I could necessarily tell the difference between these - immediately after the Food - It would not be `Spicey Enough` if I could !!
- but what I mean is that with a `Palate` that can `stand & enjoy` the Hottest [Spiced] Food that can be created - I can still `taste` the Flavour in a Lager.

I am glad to hear that You thought that Stella Artois was a decent Beer.

"Regards to All".

CHRISM.

Hairy Eyeball is Lagunitas' rendition of a barleywine.

I am drinking one right now. WOW! The perfect way to cap an evening. Burnt roast flavors, sweet finish and aftertaste, in a beer that keeps tasting better as the glass gets warmer.

At $11 a 6 pack, I won't be drinking a lot of this, and at nearly 9% alcohol, that is a good thing.

But I can just about guarantee that this is not the last 6 pack that I will buy.

I have had a beer in the bottles for almost 2 weeks now.

It is a dark, dark, bitter, bitter, hoppy beer, with a serious dollop of cayenne pepper to add some zing to the flavor pile. It is around 9%, so the awesome taste is definitely gonna lead to a bad hangover sometime in the future.

6 1/4 gallons of American Pale Ale and 4 1/4 gallons of peach apple cider are in the fermentor right now. Maybe a Cascadian Dark Ale will be brewed on Sunday?

One of which?

And 4 gals of dark Mild are about to get transferred to the fermentor real soon. Then on to the chili that is close to being ready......

I like Bud Light, it is like drinking water with a slight bit of alcohol in it. Other then that its Blue Moon and Corona for me.

Oh, and the chili was AWESOME! 1/2 pound of jalapenos and 6 serranos, 1 tsp of curry, 3 tsp of black pepper, 2 tsp of dark chili powder, 3 tsp of garlic powder, 2 tsp of Montreal Steak Seasoning, 2 tsp of Old Bay, 1 pinch of ground sage, 2 pinches of ground thyme, 1 1/2 lbs of diced chicken breast, 1 1/2 lbs of hamburger, 2 cans of kidney beans, 1 can of tomato paste, and ~ 3 hours of cooking time. I am burping warm eruptions of awesomeness as I type.

Back