BEER!! The official thread

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good thing I havent had my trash cans out lately then I guess.

I bought some of that big flats last night, but it wasnt already cold, and i had cold beer to drink.. I'll try it another day, but its here..

I found out this weekend that the other half really likes Guinness. I don't so much.

I found out this weekend that the other half really likes Guinness. I don't so much.

I was never a fan, they are great if you plan on having one beer, any more than that and I got to full.

I am drinking a Coastal Fog Amber Ale right now and its not bad. Brewed in San Francisco so it's a little fruity.....

"Hello Gentlemen",

I wondered if `STELLA ARTOIS` LAGER is available in the U.S. ??

This is one of the `BEST` European Lager Beers - Originating [In Theory]
in Belgium - Supposedly in 1366 - although this would be the `Brewery` - as obviously the Beer at that time would bear NO relation to what Lager is like NOW.

When correctly `Chilled` - I have NEVER tasted a better Lager ! !

The `Strength` is 5.2 % Alcohol by Volume - It is a `Strong` Lager - `On Tap` - and although the percentage does NOT seem very high - It is definitely a Lager / Beer to be `respected` when you are Drinking PINTS of it !!

I have seen MANY a `Good Drinker` laid low by it ! - And from a personal point of view - as I have been Drinking it for 40 Years - It definitely has more effect upon a person than similar `Lagers` of a similar `Strength` - Why I could not say - but I have witnessed it `Many Times`.

I wondered what is an `Average Strength` of a Lager / Beer that is `On Tap`/ Pump - in the `Average Bar` in the U.S. - ??

I NEARLY `lapsed` into writing another `Wall of Text` on what is definitely my Favourite Lager / Beer !

I have visited the U.S. - MANY Years ago - and I was in a couple of Bars - but I cannot remember what I was Drinking - I do seem to remember that all those Years ago - the Beer that was `On Tap` was NOT particularly `Strong`
BUT - at that time apart from the `Odd Pub` / Bar in the U.K. that sold `Stella Artois` - the Beer `On Tap`[Pump] in the U.K. was also NOT particularly `Strong` - certainly compared to what is available NOW ! !

Obviously I KNOW that the U.S. would probably be a HUGE Market for European Lagers / Beers - BUT - Is that the case ??
I think that I remember a Friend who visited the U.S. - New Jersey - told me that he thought that the U.S. `Favoured`/ `Protected` its own Brewing Industry - To the point that He could NOT find a `European Lager`.

I am hoping for some replies - IF this Subject is not `Dead` ??

"Regards to All" - it makes a change to write about something apart from Plumbing.

CHRISM.

Google search says they have it at BEVMO (a large chain store)
I'm going to have to go get some now and try it.

BevMo!

I don't drink a lot of beer these days.
I take cholesterol medication and my doctor said the regular consumption of beer and meds are messing up my liver.
I had a friend die last month at age of 62. He had a liver transplant 2yrs ago.
I don't pound down 2 or 3 when I get home from work any more but I'll still drink a good beer now and then.

My wife loves this beer. To me, it just tastes like a "Becks" beer. ;)

Stella Artois (pronounced /ˈstɛlə ɑrˈtwɑː/) is a 5% ABV lager originating from Leuven, Belgium, predominantly brewed in the United Kingdom. It is named Stella after the Latin word for "star".

Pilsner lagers such as Stella Artois head the list for domestic consumption, making up almost 75% of Belgian beer production. Stella is promoted as an international brand by its brewer, AB InBev. In its home market of Belgium, however, it is marketed, priced and sold as a regular lager. Despite its success internationally, the top selling beer in Belgium is Jupiler.

In the UK, Canada and New Zealand a 4% ABV version is also available. This variant was launched to compete alongside fellow Inbev lager Beck's Vier and to address negative associations of the brand.

Olivier Adams who is the heir to the Stella fortune is co-founder of the Belgian band Lords of Acid.

Stella Artois brewery in LeuvenStella Artois is brewed in Belgium (both in the plants of Leuven and Jupille) and the United Kingdom, as well as other countries, including Australia, Brazil and Ukraine. Much of the brew exported from Europe is currently produced at InBev's brewery in Belgium, and packaged in the Beck's Brewery in Bremen, Germany. Stella Artois is also brewed in Abbotsford, Victoria by Foster's Group for the Australian market under license from InBev. In the United States, Stella Artois is imported and distributed by Anheuser-Busch. For the Hungarian market, Stella Artois is also brewed in Bőcs, Hungary by Borsod Brewery under license from InBev.

Yes, I can get Stella Artois at a variety of stores. It is not a extremely common beer, but it is not extremely uncommon, either.

I have drank it, it is a decent beer. I think that a good English porter is much tastier, and the same for a quality American Pale Ale.

"Hi Phishfood",

When / If We speak of `Porter` in the U.K. - we would mean a Beer like `Guinness`- which is as I am sure You know a `World Famous` Irish [Originally] Stout.

In Ireland - Guinness is sometimes referred to as a `Pint of Porter`.

I wonder if You mean that type of Beer ??

I have heard of other Beers referred to as `Porter` - `Murphy's` Stout for example - but again that is a `Stout`.

When I have Worked in and Visited Scotland - The Scottish People have different Names for their Beers - `20 Schilling` - `Heavy` and others that I cannot remember - as I don`t drink those types and have only ever ordered them as part of a `Round` of drinks.

The Scottish Varieties of [Ales ?] are related to the `Strength` of each - I think that the `20 Schilling` was referring to the `Duty`/ Tax - that was levied - MANY Years ago.

I hope that those of You who might obtain some `Stella Artois` - will like the taste - it is possibly an `Aquired Taste` - I would be VERY interested in
ANY comments - `Good` or `Bad` - and - "Sorry" to anyone who does NOT like it.

"CHEERS" !

CHRISM.

Hello MrDavid",

I hope that You enjoy the Stella Artois - Havasu`s comment that He thinks that it tastes like `Becks` Beer [Lager] - which it is `similar` to - Prompts Me to wonder - It MAY be that the type of Beer that you are `Used To` will govern whether You will `Like` the Stella - ??

For an extreme example - I would NOT expect a `Guinness Drinker` to be enamoured with Stella Artois - Or perhaps a more `normal` example - I would imagine that a `Pale Ale`/ `Real Ale`/ `Homebrew` Drinker might NOT like `Stella` - or any other Lager for that matter - ??

I would be VERY interested in Your comments MrDavid - `Good` or `Bad`.

"Hello Havasu",

I saw your comment about the Stella Artois - It is sometimes compared to `Becks` - although my palate is so used to Stella that I can immediately detect the difference - after 40 Years of Drinking it ! [I did start before `Legally entitled`]

I do like Becks also - and here in London - ALL of the `Good` European Brands of `Lager` are available - although NOT particularly in the `Local Pubs` - I would have to be in an `Upmarket` Bar / Club to get a large choice of Good European Lagers - AND consequently `Pay the Price` !

"Good to hear from you all".

"Regards",

CHRISM.

Last edited:
I was thinking about stopping at a local store that has a large variety of beers today and see it they had it.
I was about 40 miles from home and when I got closer my thoughts where else where. Darn it.
I've had Becks. A coworker of mine will only drink Becks, no other beer. So I can rule him out as any kind of beer connoisseur.
And I am no connoisseur but I like all kinds of beer. If I recall Beck's had a skunky aroma. Not a bad taste but not something I would reach for if I had other choices. If it was handed to me I would drink it.

Back