What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laser printers can do color. I’ve got a Dell 1350 CNW that does great color. Just not photo quality.
It sounded like Zanne wasn’t much interested in something large and expensive for something they don’t use all that often. Simple small black and white only Laser and LED printers are pretty inexpensive. You can get them more expensive if you choose a color laser, and if you add features such as a scanner and duplexing. Yes, they require toner but the toner for a black and white is not that costly; I t’s the color toners that run up the bill. More importantly, the cost per page in black-and-white is very inexpensive, and the toner cartridges never dry out… They also don’t need to go through any cleaning cycle. You can spend $100 on a black and white laser or well into the thousands on a color… it all depends on your needs. I actually have one of each… a very cheap, portable, small, black and white only laser printer with very few features. I also have a large tabloid (11x17) color laser, which does duplexing and feeds from two different trays.

If you don’t like eBay, you can buy them from Amazon. If you don’t like Amazon, you can buy them at any number of local stores but you’re going to pay more.

Thanks for the info on the printers. I'll have to look into it. I was wondering if toner was needed. I like the fact that it doesn't dry up.

Friday was Mom's birthday and I intended to clean up, take her out to eat, and do something nice for her but I was sick all day instead. I did still cook for her but the Pepto took awhile to kick in so I had to keep running to the bathroom. Once it did kick in I racked out. Made up for it yesterday. She got this lap tray from Amazon that looked nice in pictures but was flimsier than it looked and the cushion part of it wasn't visible in the stock photos-- and that cushion was UGLY. It's a blue lap tray (Mom's favorite color) with a molded cup holder. The "cushion" part was a really ugly flimsy fabric with a bag of styrofoam microbeads inside. Not much weight and not enough filling. Fabric was undersized and was weakly hot glued on. It didn't stick. It was falling off & was uncomfortable. I wanted to make her something better, so I watched some Youtube tutorials to get ideas. I liked the idea of a more defined shape and adhered to cardboard-- although I found some foam board in the store that was perfect. I won't bore you with the details, but once I got the foam board cut to size & notched for cup holder, I punched holes in it so I could sew the fabric on. I also decided to add a zipper. I was lazy and did a visible stitch for the zipper but I might go back and do a ladder stitch. I had to pull up Youtube to remind myself of the technique after abandoning some of the other stitches that weren't working. I started working on it at 2pm and had to take a break after 10pm. Had to cook for Mom and get something to eat. Then I resumed for another hour. Got frustrated with the sewing issues & decided to nap-- plus my back was hurting. I took a nap for a couple of hours but my brain wouldn't let me stop thinking about the sewing. I decided on the ladder stitch and got up to go work on it again. I sew sloooow. Plus I have the hardest time threading the needle. Anyway, after I finished sewing it I sealed up some threads with hot glue (on the foam board part) and then stuck it on to the lap tray. I took it to Mom and gave her some fiber fill stuff to put in it so she could fill it as much as she wanted. It came out pretty nice and I'm pleased with myself. Finished after 7am so I'm in need of another nap. My back and wrist hurt but it was worth it. I'll have to get a picture of it fully stuffed later on.

Thanks for the info on the printers. I'll have to look into it. I was wondering if toner was needed. I like the fact that it doesn't dry up.

Friday was Mom's birthday and I intended to clean up, take her out to eat, and do something nice for her but I was sick all day instead.
Happy Birthday to your Mom! It was also my 22 year old daughter's birthday as well. And let's not forget that it was also the Queen of England's birthday too!

I am at my wit's end and there is a little bit of plumbing involved. A new GE refrigerator has been installed sine 27Feb2023 and I've already had GE technicians out four time to try and correct a problem with black particulate in the water and ice dispenser. The latest hope is that the manifold that holds the water filter is bad and that replacing it will solve that problem

Yesterday, the refrigerator has started exhibiting another problem that I will refer to as Snow & Frost in the freezer section. For some unknown reason snow and frost is starting to build up on the front edge of the freezer door (see pictures). I can scrape the stuff off and it starts forming almost immediately. The top wall of the freezer also has ice forming on it and this may be where the snow and frost come from indicating, possibly, some sort of water leak but who knows.

I also posted this and the other problem on an appliance blog where Jake, one of the administrators, has been very helpful with the other issue.

Any thoughts?Snow in Freezer 2.jpgSnow in Freezer 1.jpg

Maybe the seal isn't forming properly so it is icing up? That has been happening with my 20+yr old upright frost free freezer. Other than that, I don't know. I hope you can get it sorted out. I'd be mad if an appliance needed maintenance so soon after purchase. I'm just waking up from my nap and I think I hear mom waking up.

My brother didn't know they changed his schedule so he went into work early. His allergies have been causing a lot of mucus buildup so he has to hack it up and he's out of mucinex. Apparently while he was coughing stuff up in the bathroom at work, someone called EMS and sent them to check on him.

I'm still fuzzy from my nap and my body is still sore. I might have to go to the store to get something to cook for dinner tonight but for now I'm resting.

I think the frost was, as you mentioned, from the seal not doing it's job completely. Jake on "Applianceblog" suggested the same thing. The installers had the door off the box and I don't think they installed it properly as it doesn't close on its own without a swift kick. Allergies abound here and I hope your brother gets though the season without the need to rely on too many drugs.

GOODNESS I LOVE PROPER BASEMENTS!!

Lovely Place to have the service panel and generator control along with alarm system.

No better place for water pump controls, softener and water treatment tanks.

Ideal location for hot water tank and furnace HVAC systems.

Any contractor who has been forced to work in nasty crawl spaces or outside would love 💕 these clean, dry, bright conditions.

I’m here at a friends home in northern Michigan helping with minor indoor projects. Yesterday outfitted a closet with shelves, mounted towel bars, and other minor things.

The view from the backyard is beautiful!

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2521.jpeg
    IMG_2521.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2520.jpeg
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think it was Frodo who said that in these parts a basement is called an indoor pool. LOL. I really miss my basement from Virginia. It was huge. Had a workshop, a main room where my dad built an indoor slide. Had a big chalkboard on the wall, under the stairs were shelves for toy storage and then there was a whole room for entertainment. We had a pool table, TV, pin the tail on the donkey, etc. I spent a lot of time in that basement-- so much so that I don't remember the rest of the house. LOL.

Still tired, but I made it to the store. They were out of salads. I need to take my morning meds but can't reach them because I have cats parked on me.

Well THIS basement is steps to that inland sea called Lake Michigan, fewer steps to the Portage Lake channel and a few more steps to Portage Lake. Basically surrounded by “big water” on three sides and dry as a bone in the desert. It’s simply how and where you build them. Built high and dry on appropriate land. Build low on soggy bottom you have trouble.

I prefer the ranch cobb salads premade from the store because I'm lazy. LOL. Felt cruddy today so slept a lot. Cooked for Mom and fed the kitties. I did go to get my RX and get a curbside order though.

"The best laid plans of mice or men" or where going off with a couple of cans short of a six pack will get you. (There will be a test at the end of this)

Problem: I've been living with a jury-rigged installation of a Moen MotionSense kitchen faucet that requires six (6) "AA" or an AC to DC power adapter. I have been using a power adapter installed external to to the under sink area with an ugly visible cable running across the floor because there was no place to plug it in. The ISE garbage disposal is hardwired with a piece of cable coming out of the wall powered from its own circuit breaker.

An incandescent light bulb went off in my head and I asked myself "Why not replace the hardwired feed to the ISE with a pluggable pigtail and install a duplex outlet on the cable coming out of the wall"? Brilliant!

After about an hour of work and a trip or two to Home Depot the project was done and ready to test. I was beaming like a father at the birth of his first son! I flipped the breaker back on and tested everything. The disposal worked perfectly. The Moen MotionSense faucet did not.

What went wrong?

Last edited:
Back