Toilet overflow during storms

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversmith

Complete Noob
Reaction score
I am having a problem and need help. The toilet in my front bathroom has started to overflow during storms. Just the front bathroom. And the overflow is clean and clear. No sewage. No odor. The rainfall has to be EXTREMELY heavy to overflow but it just started this year. I have lived here for 15 years and never had this particular problem before. I had to have a french drain put in because of runoff flooding our septic tank about 12 years ago. This isn't the septic tank. The water is clean, for one, and the other toilet doesn't back up. This is becoming a real pain with a real possibility of costly repairs to my house.

That's what I thought except for the fact that the other plumbing is draining just fine. This toilet is further from the septic tank than the other one. There was no sewage backup anywhere.

Silversmith said:
That's what I thought except for the fact that the other plumbing is draining just fine. This toilet is further from the septic tank than the other one. There was no sewage backup anywhere.

Is your home on a slab

Yikes! That does not sound good. I hope you figure out what it is and stop the flooding. At least it is clear water and doesn't smell. Having raw sewage back up and flood your bathroom really really sucks (I'm still trying to repair the damage).

Perhaps there is a cracked/broken pipe that is allowing water in?

This is just a complete guess, but have you located your vent pipes for your toilets? Is it possible that water is pouring in to one of the vent pipes some how and filling the toilet? Or does it not work that way? I really don't know.

Back