Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long are water heaters usually good for? I may need to replace mine. I think we got it replaced when Dad was still alive (so before 2009). I think mine is a whirlpool.

How long are water heaters usually good for? I may need to replace mine. I think we got it replaced when Dad was still alive (so before 2009). I think mine is a whirlpool.
We get about 12-15 yrs out of them around my service area. That’s if it’s sized properly.

Look at how low on the tank that relief valve is installed. Seems kinda low to me.

Not actual plumbing but a humorous letter sent by soldiers in WWII. Instead of memes and gifs, this is the kind of correspondence they would send to lighten the mood. It was collected via an FOIA request for documents from that era.
waterclosetWWIIletter.jpg

Someone told me about a problem with many Rheem water heaters where the pilot light won't stay lit. Rheem had a supply chain issue due to Covid and switched control valve manufacturers for a year. A large percentage of those valves went bad, and Rheem has been horrible about covering it. The control valves that are bad are gray. I happened to buy mine from Home Depot early in the pandemic and it's a Rheem so I went to check the color. Mine is white (Honeywell), whew...

Someone told me about a problem with many Rheem water heaters where the pilot light won't stay lit. Rheem had a supply chain issue due to Covid and switched control valve manufacturers for a year. A large percentage of those valves went bad, and Rheem has been horrible about covering it. The control valves that are bad are gray. I happened to buy mine from Home Depot early in the pandemic and it's a Rheem so I went to check the color. Mine is white (Honeywell), whew...

Those go bad too, a lot of them. I’ve changed 10-15 of them in the past few years alone.

Electric water heaters have the cheapest parts. Easy to get and work pretty good.

Every time I see the name Honeywell I think of how they tried to hire my sister when she graduated summa cum laude. She'd been interning with Sandia. Honeywell wanted to poach her and gave her a very high offer. Sandia offered her a lower amount to keep working there. She told them about Honeywell's offer. So they offered her more than Honeywell did and she stayed. Years later, Honeywell bought out Sandia (but I think it still has the same name). Mom joked that they wanted my sister to work for them so badly, they bought the company she worked for.

Those go bad too, a lot of them. I’ve changed 10-15 of them in the past few years alone.

Electric water heaters have the cheapest parts. Easy to get and work pretty good.
What's the best brand in your area for gas water heaters, in terms of service calls? I've had AO Smith (already there when I moved in, not impressed), then Bradford White (lasted 9.5 yrs, opted to replace since our HOA mandates 10 yr replacement anyway), and now Rheem (so far so good). Thanks.

What's the best brand in your area for gas water heaters, in terms of service calls? I've had AO Smith (already there when I moved in, not impressed), then Bradford White (lasted 9.5 yrs, opted to replace since our HOA mandates 10 yr replacement anyway), and now Rheem (so far so good). Thanks.
They all have problems

My Whirlpool has worked fine for the past 10+ years. I don't know if they make them that way anymore though. I've never had to have it serviced though.
And ugh, that pink in that bathroom. bleh. I like Pepto Bismol but I have never liked that color pink. Probably because I associate it with nausea, heartburn, indigestion, etc. LOL.

185F224A-A099-45ED-A024-3A6B40845632.jpeg935CE766-202A-4BB2-B17F-54D3A7AF0B9F.jpeg

The outside will have marble trim around the perimeter.

I went ahead and used up the rest of my drywall compound on those joints that won’t be seen on the walls.

That is looking great!
What sort of light is that? (any link)? I am seriously considering getting some lights like that for two of my bathrooms. My friend could probably use one over his shower as well.

I had an idea for a possibly easier way to temporarily fix my jamming float lever problem. I have some of the old jet pump switches with this sort of mounting bracket:
1646834324975.png
I tested it and that nut fits inside the PVC pipe that used to hold the old switch. It sits pretty tightly and doesn't move. That bracket won't fit the other type of D-switch for the float without serious modification but I suddenly had an idea. I found a board from a gate that broke when a tree fell. Pressure treated wood that can be cut to size. I can cut a horizontal piece, attach the mounting bracket and then attach one or two vertical pieces on either side of the pipe. Then I can mount the float switch on the board close enough to reach the hole. No need to buy any more parts or jb weld stuff together. With the nut in the pipe it should hold it steady enough that it won't shift. When it stops raining I'll go grab that board and see what length I need and get my Matrix out to cut it. Might not even have to mess with any of the wires when moving the switch over (but I will turn off the power). I do still need to make a cover since the wires don't fit in the side hole and cover won't stay on. I'm thinking an el cheapo plastic box from the dollar store that I can drill a hole in for the rod. That may even help stabilize the rod so it doesn't shift.

I’m about to go install the pan and walls today. If the weather holds off I’ll finish it today. Can’t cut that stuff inside and there’s no place to cut when it’s raining at the job.

During light rain I can use a tent but we’re suppose to get some strong storms rolling through.

I hope the rain lets up long enough for you to cut it.

Back