New Hobby

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say it was definitely handmade, and looks better than my first couple of knives did. thanks for the pic! I love seeing what other people have made, especially when there's history behind it.

As far as heating to welding temps, you can do that in a coal-fired or gas forge. Basically a cavity lined with firebricks and force-heated. I can get 1/4" thick steel up to forging temps (~2200F) in about 10 minutes and I haven't tried to get to welding temps yet.

I dunno if i posted these here or not, but my grandfather made these, i guess back in the 40's to 60's... ???
the longer one is the best bread/carving knife I own!

2010-12-07%2010.44.15.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, my buddy who is holding my hand through this process has a propane fired forge. It also has a blower fan hooked up to the input. The added air flow really heats up the flame. It will singe the hair on your hand lighting it, and gets his garage nearly unbearable within 1/2 hour.

Okay. I thought maybe you were using a torch or something home made
Like they say, Pictures are it didn't happen.

You "can" use a torch on a small piece (like the nessemuk styled skinner I forged), but you lose SO much heat that it really is just a waste of money.

When I can really get back into forging, I want to build a solid fuel forge.

I went over to my buddy's house last night, finished drawing it out, and flattened it preparatory to folding it again. I forgot my camera, so no pictures. The whole family is headed over there for dinner this evening, so I am hoping to get some more whacks in, and will post some pictures.

I have a knife that my dad said he built with his own hands from WWII. It looks surprisingly similar to Dave's homemade knife. I will post pics when I find it, but I'm wondering if these guys are trying to BS us with what they did and didn't do during the war?

I actually got pictures this afternoon, and then left the camera over there.

Figures... that sounds EXACTLY like something I would do!

and I got to grind for about an hour yesterday. I got the rough grind done on the smallest fighter in my new batch, and got one whole side of the small tanto done. That one is a combo grind of hollow and flat, and its gonna be trickier than I expected. i need about 12 solid hours to get everthing ground... :( I hate feeling rushed

OK, here are some pictures. I will add commentary through post edits.

#1 is the stock cold on top of the anvil. The rod off of the end is a handle to use while working with it when it is hot.

#2 is a shot of the forge.

#3 is the blower motor.

#4 is the forge fired up with the stock starting to warm up. Neither the forge nor the steel are up to temp yet.

#5 starting to warm up.....

#6 and now I get to pound on some steel. Right now I am just straightening it out, getting ready for the next fold. Notice the glowing forge in the background? It is completely up to temperature now, and if I were forge welding or drawing it out, the rythym would be pretty close to 1 minute out of the forge working and 2 minutes in the forge reheating.

DSCN5419.jpg

DSCN5420.jpg

DSCN5421.jpg

DSCN5422.jpg

DSCN5423.jpg

DSCN5424.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight I dressed one of the sides of the stock with a grinder and cut the piece almost in two with a band saw. Then I stuck it in the forge till it got cherry red, almost orange, took it out and folded it over. Lots of Borax to flux, and then started forge welding the two pieces together. I thought I had it thoroughly welded, and started to draw it out. After a bit it was apparent that there was a section that had not welded, so I had to back over it again. A couple of trips over the sides of the stock seemed to show that it had welded this time, and then the forge was out of propane.

Good, handmade damascus is something that's hard to find... Well... Not hard to find, just not many people doing it. So when you go to order a 9" bar online, its gonna be over $250!!! Which is also why I don't use any damascus yet.... ;)

I can't wait to see what you get in the end, and have you ever looked around iforgeiron.com?

My new blades should be getting cut out any day now from a jeepforum guy. And i picked up a treadmill to take the motor from, to build a grinder at my house! :D

I don't really have much to show right now... A few more ideas, but nothing in-hand just yet. Something I would like to do after I get my grinder going is an 10" bladed machete.

Well then let's see that grinder setup!

I saw the treadmill pics this AM on JF and thought....WTF is Brad trying to accomplish now? You had that thing apart like someone who has been in a week long, meth induced frenzy!

I don't like Meth or it's friends. That is all.

I do want to see the treadmill pics.

Latest posts

Back