New Hobby

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRad704

Moderation
Reaction score
Well... I haven't actually started yet, but I am going to learn how to make custom knives. Not the crazy wizardly crap, just good clean skinners, drop-points and tantos.

This idea came from me wanting to do something special and memorable for my dad, and both father-in-laws this year at Christmas. I was going to buy pre-finished blades and just scale them myself, UNTIL... I started talking to a guy that makes custom knives from Kentucky. And it turns out that he JUST moved to my suburb!!! He also offered to help me make a few so that I can etch them with "Custom made by Brad Taylor" :D :D :D

Even my wife is onboard with this idea... hehe...

Here is Jim's website if you want to look at some of his other work. Not sure how mine will turn out, but I will let you know.
jim adams custom

Besides that, I thought we needed a new GD thread. (Gen Disc thread) ;)

Agreed. That's awesome.

I have a friend that collects the crazy wizardly crap, his house is a testament to not ever growing up.

I can't wait to see some pics, I've always been interested in knife crafting, but as it stands, I don't have time to do anything.

It is gonna take me a month or so to work out enough spare time to go learn how all this is done, so dont expect pics TOO soon... but I am a pic whore and will surely get them online as soon as I can.

I'm the opposite, I never take pics then always regret I don't.

I take WAY too many pictures... This one was today leaving home depot and I took it intending on posting in a thread on JF, but haven't yet...

2010-09-17%2012.08.46.jpg

Why did you lower your jeep Brad? and that guy has your roof rack?

That Jeep on the left has some ugly rims. Just sayin'.

A friend of mine has a forge, and lots of knife making steel. My first attempt is supposed to be a 10"-12" stabbing dagger made from Damascus steel as a present for my son. I have the first fold done, and now I need to draw it out to make the second fold. Just for reference, I started with 7 layers of steel. The first fold doubled that to 14 layers. I have to continue til there are 224 layers. Then I have to decide if I want to twist it or not. Then I have to rough shape it, then do an ***lode of filing , then make a handle, then.......... My son is 15. Maybe it will be a college graduation present.

That's mighty lofty for a first try at it... My first will probably be but from my machete and will be a 2.5" bladed skinner. I know its small, but should be nice and handy and not too much filing for my first attempt. I have 3 designs on paper to try, my small skinner, a 3.5" bladed hunter style, and a 6.5" bladed semi kukri style...

Yeah, not a fan of the wheels on the short one, but I pass his house all the time... He's also got a SWEET late 60's Chevy truck in the driveway...

That's mighty lofty for a first try at it...
You are so right on that point. But I really want this to be something my son will treasure for a long time. And knowing how lazy I am, this will likely be the only blade I ever make.
My first will probably be but from my machete and will be a 2.5" bladed skinner. I know its small, but should be nice and handy and not too much filing for my first attempt. I have 3 designs on paper to try, my small skinner, a 3.5" bladed hunter style, and a 6.5" bladed semi kukri style...

Yeah, not a fan of the wheels on the short one, but I pass his house all the time... He's also got a SWEET late 60's Chevy truck in the driveway...
Sounds like you have some nice ideas to work on. I, too, dread the filing part. Post up some pics as you start to get into the process.

Ok... I am impatient, and crafty and worked with what I had available to me... So here is the progression of my knifemaking...

Cut the blank shape from an old machete
2010-09-21%2009.06.20.jpg

2010-09-21%2009.08.26.jpg

Sanded off all black... obligatory toes in pic...
2010-09-21%2010.00.48.jpg

Cord wrapped handle... didnt work too well because it slipped off the back too easily.
2010-09-21%2014.45.00.jpg

2010-09-21%2017.06.13.jpg

2010-09-21%2019.32.23_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

2010-09-21%2019.57.50_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

2010-09-21%2020.01.51_Memphis_Tennessee_US.jpg

Brad, the knife looks good. I only have two comments:

1) Are you preparing yourself for an upcoming prison sentence?
2) Clean your fingernails!

:D:D:D

Thanks, not prison... deer season, and i had been working in the garage all night, dang, cut a guy some slack..

:D

Just kidding! Do you find your hand fits ok? it looks like your index (nose picking) finger is pretty close to the blade. Any reason for the shorter handle?

I wanted to make this one more of a small skinner. and the pickin fanger looks like that because I dont have a full round file, so I couldnt get the inlet deep enough. I would like to fix that soon though...

I like the shorter handle because it hits the middle of my palm when held in a regular grip, or I can hold it with my thumb on the side of the blade in a "scraping" style motion...

I am now researching leatherworking.... :)

But the leather that you and your wife use might be a little different than what Brad is looking for....

I found the chrome studs can go on the inside or outside of the sheath, depending on one's perferences!

I actually talked via email to the Memphis Tandy Manager today and I am gonna go look at some smaller pieces this Friday...

Definitely post some pics!!!

Back