Bought a new laptop

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using it now........ I think the main reason I don't like it is because the mouse thingy sucks.

So after messing around with the new laptop for a while today I decided I will take it out and shoot it. I really really hate this thing and think windows 8 is the stupidest thing out there. Why are they trying to make a pc into a cell phone. I was forced to sit there and watch as my PCM updated its twenty factory apps for 15 minutes. Why does a computer even have or need apps. I am over this thing altogether.

Now the stupid thing froze on me. If I were just a little closer to the gun range.....

Booze kept me happy....

Me too. Nerdy stuff just occupied my time.

I am using it now........ I think the main reason I don't like it is because the mouse thingy sucks.

What do you mean mouse thingie? I dislike the majority of mouse options for laptops, they don't move fast enough.

So after messing around with the new laptop for a while today I decided I will take it out and shoot it. I really really hate this thing and think windows 8 is the stupidest thing out there. Why are they trying to make a pc into a cell phone. I was forced to sit there and watch as my PCM updated its twenty factory apps for 15 minutes. Why does a computer even have or need apps. I am over this thing altogether.

I'll take it off your hands before you shoot it. After you shoot it I will not be interested.

Well, not as interested.

The little touch pad thingy is what I am talking about, my old laptop I could scroll down the page with it, this one I have to use the arrow keys. I am going to keep messing with it little by little since there will be no way to buy one with windows 7 and I am sure things will keep progressing and I will be left in the dust if I don't learn it.

Get a different mouse. I hate scroll pads.

Chris, I like to use a full-size mouse with my laptop. I think my mouse is a Logitech M510. It has a comfort grip and the side buttons are out of the way so I don't accidentally bump them like I used to on my MS comfortmouse. The side buttons (on the left) can be used to go Back and Forward on browsers. The scroll wheel is pretty nice.
I once had a mouse that had two scroll wheels (one for up and down and another for left and right). The drawback of the M510 is that it gets dirt in it and isn't as responsive. Or sometimes you just have to reset it (take batteries out, hold left button down and click the right button a certain number of times). Mine is being a pain right now because it is low battery but i'm too lazy to change it.

Havasu, you could probably find an OEM or non-retail version of Windows 7 on Ebay. Not sure if Amazon would have it. I'd have to look when my connection is not being a total pita.

I use a logitech too. Love it.

I'm neither logical or technical, so I'm not qualified to purchase a Logitech. Do they make an Illogidinasaur, which seems to fit me better?

I'm neither logical or technical, so I'm not qualified to purchase a Logitech. Do they make an Illogidinasaur, which seems to fit me better?

They sell pink Microsoft ComfortMouse. (I wanted a comfort mouse but refused to buy a pink one).

Btw, Spybot Search & Destroy and Malwarebytes are your friends for antivirus software.

It's weird to think how far technology has come since I went to college. I interned in a computer repair place. I remember when it was much harder to get in to the chassis to replace parts.

On the topic of laptops, I need to upgrade the RAM in mine.

I agree that both Malwarebites and the free edition of AVG is your friend if you like to surf the web.

I run scans once a week with both. They seem to catch most everything out there.

I had some issues with AVG causing problems so I haven't used it, but I have Spybot Search & Destroy running. Of course, I also have a friend with A+ Certification who can help if anything does get through. He's more up-to-date on stuff than I am-- of course, he's over 10 years younger than I am so he grew up with more tech stuff than I did.

havasu, I believe there may still be a few HP laptops for sale that have Win7. Their website seems to only list Intel chip ones, which drives the price up. AMD chips are much less expensive and the motherboards for them are also less expensive, so it lowers the price quite a bit.

As much as I despite Walmart, sometimes they actually have decent laptops. Avoid Dell and E-machines. I've heard people complain about Toshibas but I've never used one. I've had good luck with HPs. The only problem I really had was when we ordered a desktop with a better graphics card that required a 400W power supply and they only put a 250W one in (they didn't have an option to put a larger one in and that was the standard usage one and some "genius" didn't think about that).

If anyone does decide to shop at Walmart for a laptop, don't trust what the displays say about their processors. I've seen them mislabel things and/or put misinformation on the specs. So if the computer is on, Run dxdiag to look and see if it says it has the right stuff. Keep in mind that the built-in video memory borrows from the actual processor/RAM and is not the capacity.

Actually, I advise always running dxdiag on any potential purchase laptop or desktop at a store and seeing the specs and such. Opening it may also give you at least a small indication of how fast the machine operates. From dxdiag you can also test the video and sound performance.

Latest posts

Back