Bought a new laptop

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hows the new laptop Chris? Using it yet?

I was but the battery died a few weeks ago and I haven't bothered charging it.

LOL, you just didn't plug it in and that's stopping you?

That seems like money well spent then.

Have you considered yelling at and letting it know how much you hate it?

It's either that or revert it to Windows 7.

I don't hate at all. I just don't know how to use it so I don't enjoy it. They get something that works right and then they change it up to confuse the crap out of me.

I will try yelling at it today and maybe sit down and tell it how I feel.

How did it go? Does it know your disappointment in it?

I've found that the angrier I get the worse my computer operates. I don't know if the electricity my body puts out has some minute effect or if maybe its just that everything seems to be going worse because I'm angry. LOL.

Sometimes talking nicely to my computer seems to work though.

I'm with Austin on this one-- Windows 7!

We had a short chat but I still haven't plugged it in so I don't know if it was listening.

Might want to give it a try. Mine stopped charging, so now I have to figure out why.

Austin, have you tried taking the battery out and putting it back in?
Also, the battery designs have a flaw where they can get overcharged and that the longer you leave it plugged in when it is fully charged, the faster it will drain when not plugged in.

I had that happen with an 18v lithium battery for a Craftsman weedeater-- I left it charging too long and now the battery barely lasts 2 min when I try to run the weedeater. Pisses me off bc the battery costs about $60.

HP tech support told me that when you get a laptop battery you should charge it to full and then let the battery drain completely and then charge it again, but to not keep it plugged in all the time as it diminishes the life of the battery.

You would think they would/could design something to prevent that from happening, but it is likely part of planned obsolescence so they can get people to buy new batteries and eventually new computers (as some people just buy a new computer instead of replacing the battery).

So either the battery needs to be replaced OR you need to take it out and put it back in. I had to take mine out and put it back in before.

Now, its not always the battery. Sometimes it is the cord. Laptops have that little rectangular box on the cord and it can overheat-- in some cases those have overheated to the point of setting things on fire and burning houses down. There are some newer cords that don't get that hot now so they won't start fires. Sometimes if those boxes get hot enough, they stop working and the cord has to be replaced (usually the part with the box). If the box overheated and fried then it won't send power to the laptop.

I've had that happen before.

(I took electronics in high school and Electronic Engineering in college, but we were taking apart 486s and not the modern stuff).

I think it's the cord. I started getting a warning that my adapter was not recognized.

I think it's the cord. I started getting a warning that my adapter was not recognized.

Hmm, sometimes, but not always, if you just leave the cord unplugged for awhile and let it cool down or move it to a different socket, it might help. My brother's cord completely died because it overheated so he had to order a new one.

If you have an HP with windows 7 you can hold down the function key while pressing ESC and it will pop up a window to tell you about your system. It will tell you the product number (second thing on the list). If you use that product number on the HP support website, you can find out which power cord it uses.

Apparently just to make more money they make some things more model specific. The cords are expensive on the HP site so you can find the exact # of the cord and then look for it on newegg or amazon.

I'm on a Dell.

I have to go by the store Monday. They have an "Approved" power adapter I can plug into to confirm my issue.

LOL. Oh man... A Dell... :-(
I'm sorry.

Just cut a cord off an old lamp and shove the wires into it?

Tried that, but all the lava from the lamp spilled out when I did it.

How do I get the lava back in?

Back