A couple pics of my work.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a little back story. My pipelayer over tightened a bolt that broke a bonnet that holds packing for the the shaft on a valve. He made this mistake by not knowing or being taught the proper way to do this. Also the manufacturer (Ames) sales rep was a real ****** with his saying it was my fault and there is no warranty before I even got the first word out. At first I just wanted to see about ordering the part and seeing if they would cover the cost of it (In the real world about 5 bucks) (In their world about 100 bucks). They sent a guy out that said I need to replace the valve because this is not a fixable item. At two grand I was not that amused about replacing a whole valve so I kept bugging them and finally they decided to send me the part at no cost and tell me I would have to fix it and the warranty is still void because I touched the loose bolts instead of calling them first. We went back and forth a few times after that and I let them know that I needed a rep from their company on my jobsite everytime I installed one of these in the future to tighten these bolts for me because they leak about 90% of the time. They said that is not possible and that these units are pre checked and never leak. In the end I let him know that I would do everything possible to not use his brand in any more installations since they make it nearly impossible to install one without voiding tha warranty.

Are there many manufacturers out there so you don't need to purchase that specific brand anymore?

I wold post your whole story on the forum as it's own thread and let google pick it up.

Might set things in motion. I've been contacted to have criticism removed, we are pretty good about getting high up on google.

Google "The Dive Shop San Marcos Texas"

FirearmsTalk (one of Keith's sites) comes up number 2 with criticism.

Are there many manufacturers out there so you don't need to purchase that specific brand anymore?

There are others but a little more expensive and in some cases not approved by the district. The more cost does not bother me but there is nothing I can do if the others are not accepted in the district.

I wold post your whole story on the forum as it's own thread and let google pick it up.

Might set things in motion. I've been contacted to have criticism removed, we are pretty good about getting high up on google.

Google "The Dive Shop San Marcos Texas"

FirearmsTalk (one of Keith's sites) comes up number 2 with criticism.

I will have to do that when I get some free time.

Hear you on the stress. I have 90 apartment units going right now that I started just over a month ago, and they need to be finished before Christmas. I had to clean the back of my truck out so that I could transport the waterpipe fittings necessary for one 30 unit building from our warehouse to the jobsite (my sub sprung a 4 man waterpipe crew on me on Monday). Picking that up put me 1/2 hour late to work this morning. On the way, I get a call that the guys I had setting drains and cleanouts in the garage were in the way of the insect pretreatment spray and had to get out. As I was walking down to the garage to deal with that, I stepped on a protruding nail in a sheet of plywood. EFFFING FRAMERS!!! Effing stupid foreman, not paying attention, effing effing effff! 5 second pain dance, then back to work. We had been sent the wrong sized cleanouts. Wrong no-hub bands. Subs whining. Foot hurting. I had 3 service calls scheduled for 9 AM on a previous job. Inspectors showing up, having to get people to move vehicles, materials being dropped off. I made it to the service calls at 10:30.

Yesterday the VP of Operations (that's my boss's boss) showed up. Got my ass chewed for not having the materials available for the surprise water pipe crew. Got my ass chewed because one of the subcontractors is a brainless moron. But I should have caught it and got it fixed before he saw it, so I had that one coming. Then got told that the neat clean way I had the waterpipe being installed was wrong and too expensive, though it was obviously superior. He's really gonna flip his lid when I tell him that I am taking a 4 day weekend late next month. And I will have the bank time saved up, several times over, so I am going to pay myself for those days as well.

Plus I have went to a side job every evening so far this week.

Today was my first day in a month somewhat stress free. I don't know if it was because my jobs are smoothing out or because I have had my leadman at home all week because I don't like flakes. Either way I will find out tomorrow when he comes back to work.

Stress sucks.

That is a beautiful trench drain, seriously. Craftsmanship shows through clearly on the pics. The "Nightmare Job" is also very impressive. I love to get away from the monotony of every-day plumbing and work on jobs that require an anally retentive, detail demanding pri*k (as I've been proudly labeled) to do the install. It rejuvenates my passion for plumbing when I feel that things are getting stale. Wish that I could have been there to learn something new, share some experience and save you a few head aches.

I love my business because we do such a wide range of different things that it doesn't get old. I just don't like being rushed and not doing as good a job as I can. My company has a great reputation and I want to keep it that way as long as possible.

Today was my first day in a month somewhat stress free. I don't know if it was because my jobs are smoothing out or because I have had my leadman at home all week because I don't like flakes. Either way I will find out tomorrow when he comes back to work.

Stress sucks.

I've had friends I've worked with like that, they are great workers, but the drama they bring with them can be a little much.

Being responsible for someone elses screw ups and the related stress is one reason I never started my own business. Challanges I like. Being the boss has it's rewards and perks though.

I've had friends I've worked with like that, they are great workers, but the drama they bring with them can be a little much.

You hit the nail on the head. My leadman is a great worker and will do anything for me but since he has been having problems at home they seem to follow him to work and he takes it out on the other guys and that is not ok in my book. The last three days without him have gone smoother and calmer then the last two months with him. He came back to work today and was better but not great, I can tell things are bothering him more then ever but he is trying not to bring them to work. I hope it all ends up well but only time will tell.

Being responsible for someone elses screw ups and the related stress is one reason I never started my own business. Challanges I like. Being the boss has it's rewards and perks though.

It definitly has it's ups and downs. I am the kind of guy that money doesn't meen much to me and I don't want to work my life away. I believe you can work your entire life to die wealthy or you can enjoy life to the fullest and die broke and happy. I myself want to save every penny for the next ten or fifteen years and retire young and live moderatly from there on out and enjoy myself. Havasu how do you like retirement?

You hit the nail on the head. My leadman is a great worker and will do anything for me but since he has been having problems at home they seem to follow him to work and he takes it out on the other guys and that is not ok in my book. The last three days without him have gone smoother and calmer then the last two months with him. He came back to work today and was better but not great, I can tell things are bothering him more then ever but he is trying not to bring them to work. I hope it all ends up well but only time will tell.

Are you actual friends or just work friends?

Seems to me he needs some one to talk to and thinks that's you. It can create a constant impending sense of dread in some people.

We are kinda friends. More so work friends then anything else. We have done a lot together but have drifted apart lately with his problems. Even in my personnel life I am prompt and don't make stupid excuses about anything.

Same here, or will call people and let them know "The Old lady and I are getting into it, we are running behind.".

I think anyone in a long term that doesn't argue and have it affect them is missing out.

A few more pics. Two are from todays clarifier install and one is from todays repave on another job.

Clarifier.jpg

Clarifier 1.jpg

road patch.jpg

Do you sub out the repaving?

Depends on the size of the patch and how many free guys I have at the time but in this case yes I did.

Why two cleanouts so close together?

Every time we have a bend fitting in the line we have to install a clean out so that it is easy to get to any cloggs.

Here is a pick of today in the rain.

Riverside rain.jpg

Latest posts

Back