What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. I'm just lazy and my internet has been going out due to the heavy rains.
It was somewhat dark almost all day. Cold and dark. I did not venture outside at all.

I like it, but for me it's 5am.

I have to pee by then!

Today I got my water bill that made me fall over. Went outside and sure enough the meter was running. No saturated spots but I have great draining soil, dug around the planter near where the water goes in the house and sure enough a leak where it transitions to copper from PVC.

Does sch mean "schedule"? I'm guessing it has to do with the toughness/sturdiness of the product?
My house used to have metal pipes but its all PVC now.

Chris, I'm sorry that you had that leak and your bill was so high. I'm glad that you were able to locate it though.

The pulley wheel pump thing that pulls water up into my cistern is getting a workout because the lever that senses the water height is still getting stuck so it keeps running even when the thing is full. I need to figure out how to replace it with something that will not do that. It will probably make the electric bill higher this month. I'm not looking forward to that bill. We've had the heat on so its going to suck.

BTP12 that looks very nice!!

I'm hoping that we'll get a few warmer non-rainy days soon so I can do some cleanup in the yard before my sister arrives next month.

Yes, Sch is just an abbreviation for Schedule. That refers to the wall thickness of the pipe. Sch 40 is the standard thickness of PVC, and is usually white. Irrigation is often installed with a much thinner walled pipe, that is usually white as well, but the fittings used with irrigation are still Sch 40. Sch 80 is much thicker walled, and is usually gray in color.

The thread on the fittings makes the fitting much weaker, and it is very common for breaks to occur there, so having the thicker walled fitting adds strength.

Thanks, Phishfood. I think some of the faucets I have are gray but I don't know if that means they are sch 80 or not. I think I have at least one or two white faucets. Maybe that is why my hoses leak where they attach to the faucet.

BTP12, very nice work!

Today I wanted to slap my friend's hellbeast of a wife because she insisted that he go to Walmart to buy some things today. He doesn't have a car so I got roped in to driving. Never again will I even set foot out of my house on Thanksgiving. It was a complete mess. I had to stand around waiting, my friend couldn't even find all of the stuff, it was incredibly crowded, and then the line for the register went all the way to the back of the store. We stood in line for almost 2 hours before we finally got to the register.
Fortunately there were some nice people and the lady in front of us had a long cart with seats for children and she let me set my stuff on it while we were in line (I didn't have a cart since they were hiding carts and only a few people had them). They actually had the police there guarding the doors and checking receipts. I don't even want to know what it will look like tomorrow.

I was so glad to get out of there-- and then I had a flat tire. I discovered that someone had stolen the little cap off of the stem for filling the tire. Fortunately I have a special Craftsman air pump thingy for inflating tires that can be plugged in to the car and I got it filled up fairly quickly. It's a slow leak so it held up on the way home.

Last edited:
Back