What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother is back from the hospital and has been paging me on the intercom constantly. Apparently she got spoiled by getting fed in bed in the hospital and now she won't even make her own sandwich even if I bring her the stuff to make it. So I have to prepare all of her meals and help her get off the toilet. At least I don't have to wipe her behind--- yet...

I haven't been getting much sleep.

I'm sorry to hear she's being an issue, but glad she's out of the hospital.

Thanks, Austin. One of her sisters called today and talked to her for awhile and it seemed to perk her up a bit. She got up and went into the living room by herself without asking for help. I told her to page me when she wanted food and she did so I made her some fried rice.

The problem is that she's trying to adjust to new meds and has been feeling nauseous. She postponed her doctor's appointment until the 20th since she didn't feel like going today.

She was actually thanking me for taking care of her-- which is unusual because gratitude is not something she usually expresses.

Thanks, Austin. One of her sisters called today and talked to her for awhile and it seemed to perk her up a bit. She got up and went into the living room by herself without asking for help. I told her to page me when she wanted food and she did so I made her some fried rice.

The problem is that she's trying to adjust to new meds and has been feeling nauseous. She postponed her doctor's appointment until the 20th since she didn't feel like going today.

She was actually thanking me for taking care of her-- which is unusual because gratitude is not something she usually expresses.

I'm proud of taking care of your mom Zanne. My kids would turn off their phones and drive the other direction.

I'm proud of you too Zanne. It takes a lot of commitment and love to do that.

Thanks, Austin and Havasu. There was a point in time when our relationship was such that I thought I would never be willing to take care of her. Fortunately we get along better now. It's funny because she made no secret of the fact that I was her least favorite when growing up, but I'm the one who seems the most concerned with her needs. Granted I still live at home and she she pays for all of my stuff, but so does my brother and he constantly gripes that she expects too much from him.

I had a moment where I had to stop myself from laughing out loud at him because he lives here rent free and doesn't do any chores. The kitchen is a total mess bc he makes messes and never cleans up after himself. He's a pretty good cook and we discovered that my mother loves it when he makes soup. He started whining yesterday about how now he was going to be expected to cook for my mother every day.

In my head I was playing the smallest violin in the world. I mean, heaven forbid he actually have to do something on a regular basis for the person who provides a roof over his head and pays for all of his food (of which he devours large quantities). Then he was griping about the condition of the kitchen and griping how when he gripes about it that people tell him he should do something about it but that's not fair because "I shouldn't have to do EVERYTHING". I was facepalming and biting my tongue while my internal dialog was telling me to offer to call the waaaambulance.

At least I got him to admit that I'm better at carpentry and fixing things than he is. And I am a monkey at both of those. LOL.

Went and got a Christmas tree the same way I do every year, like a gamble I show up pay for one and grab one that has not been untied or looked at. If it is ugly than I get an ugly tree, I don't care.

I am the exact opposite. I look at dozens of trees, drag one over to another and hold them up beside each other. By the time "we" finally pick out our tree, I am sure my wife is ready to accept a brown shrub, as long as we can be done with it already.

I have one, used it once. It's just not the same.

Set up my tree. Good pick for not opening it.

I always hated having a christmas tree up. We used to get real trees and I felt it was a waste, but sometimes they would also come with bugs and they would bite me and stuff would fall off the tree and I remember it making my skin itch. Mostly I disliked them because my mother made a big deal about decorating the tree and would always at some point become enraged over something about it and then there would be a lot of yelling. So I associated the tree with her blowing a gasket and making me feel miserable.

We used to grow christmas trees in our yard but the scumbag neighbor cut every single one of them down when we were overseas.

We blissfully went a few years without a tree until my sister bought a fake one that has to be stored when not in use and wastes space. She comes to visit and she wanted a tree even though we don't have space for one. It didn't get to stay up for very long thanks to the cats.

I'm such a grinch when it comes to christmas. LOL.

Edit to add: I think the trees look nice in other people's houses-- but they are a pain when they are in my house.

Last edited:
To me the tree is what brings that Christmas feel, if you aren't going to have anything else at least have a tree.

Went and got a Christmas tree the same way I do every year, like a gamble I show up pay for one and grab one that has not been untied or looked at. If it is ugly than I get an ugly tree, I don't care.

We're not doing a tree this year as my son likes to destroy everything in his path.

Back