What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes they are sold in a set timer, dimmer and 15amp gfi for around ten bucks. I only used the timers for mine.

The car is a 71 and we are in Glendale in oakmont country club.

I wish my state had a Costco. I'm sure there is one in Houston, but we don't have a membership. I wonder if they let you purchase like a one-day membership. LOL.

Glad the electrician got things set up for you, Havasu. I hope the floor epoxy goes well.

Chris, that is a very nice car! I hope you enjoyed visiting your grandfather. My grandparents are all passed on now, but one set of them lived in California in the Chula Vista area. I can't remember the street name my mother lived on, but it was something Court. My grandmother was known as "The Witch of (forget the name) Court." She was always telling the neighborhood children to be quiet and to go home because she suffered from migraines.

Anyhoo, as I said on the garage forum, I think I've come up with the price we are willing to pay for the vehicle we want to buy. I'm trying to decide if I should e-mail the offer as the out-the-door including doc fees price and say we will come in to buy the vehicle if they agree but won't even show if they don't. Vs showing up with a chashier's check in the amount we are willing to pay and tell them it includes doc fees and we can't really afford anything else because that was what we had and the vehicle will need some work and accessories. From the pictures it needs paint touch up or buffing, new bulbs (replacing standard with LED), running boards (so my Mom can get in and out of it more easily), and a tonneau cover. The photo of the trunk showed that it was somewhat beat up. They slipped up and said they were desperate to sell it-- they've had it on the lot for 2 months (bought it an at auction in Louisiana no less). They claim it hasn't had any repairs or any damages that were not reported to carfax but I will take it to a mechanic to get it checked out. I wonder if a mechanic at a Honda Dealership would be good or if I should go with the one I saw with the best reviews on Yelp... I'll ask my cousin about that when I get up there.

What do you guys think?

E-mail or show up?

Honda dealer or top yelp review?

Meanwhile, my insurance company sent a note saying they claimed ownership of our Expedition on the 6th. I don't think they had even sent out the packet yet and we haven't received the check. I say they don't own it until we have the $ and they have the title. Since Monday is a holiday, we will have to wait until Tuesday to hit the insurance company and bank and such. If that is done quickly, we might be able to head to Houston, although maybe we should wait until Wednesday or Thursday. I'm leaning toward Wednesday. As nice as the rental car is, I can't figure out how to turn off the damn radio and the air conditioning system is horrible.

usually a button that says ON/OFF

why houston? ya'll aint got cars in Baton roue? or in any town around?

There doesn't appear to be an on/off button that I've seen on it. It's an LCD screen that works for the backup camera and it has all sorts of things like to answer a phone and some other crud. LOL.

I checked listings within the state. Nothing in Baton Rouge. I did a cars.com search for 250miles from my zip and there was nothing in our price range. But the Ridgelines and Hondas in general apparently don't sell well in Texas so there are more options. Since we are from out-of-state it means we won't have to pay the taxes at the dealership, and will wait until we come back home to register at the DMV. Plus, we've been to Houston more times than we've been to Baton Rouge and my cousin lives in Houston. We don't know anyone in Baton Rouge and are not at all familiar with the area. Mom is at least somewhat familiar with Houston-- at least getting to the hospital my father went to for treatment back when we were having to go there once per week (nobody in Louisiana would treat him following some medical malpractice that required reconstructive surgery and pain treatments).

The salesman called again-- I think from his house because I could hear his kids playing in the background. He was asking if we got the pic he sent of the trunk. It was not a good picture. He said his camera doesn't focus well. I almost suggested that he should get a different camera for posting those images. He gave his name and cell number for us to set up an appointment and asked if it was the vehicle for us. I said it was definitely a contender on our list and that we would try to be in the area sometime this week-- I didn't want to sound too enthused so he'd think he had us hooked.

Still deciding whether or not we should e-mail the out-the-door price and see if they agree ahead of time or if we should show up and see if they will let us negotiate. Either way could sort of backfire. They could just refuse and we would have to hope to find something else instead of going there. If we show up they might feel they have us over a barrel.

What do you think?

They already found out when we first contacted them that we were from out-of-town. I might have my cousin come along with me. Turns out she knows the dealership and knows two good mechanics in the area. It's in the Spring subdivision and that is where she lives. Just got off the phone with her. We might spend the night over there so we can spend more time with her since we haven't seen each other in years.

I wouldn't be able to convince them that I'm from the area because I don't sound like a local by any stretch. LOL. Around here I get asked where I'm from all the time since I developed my accent mostly when I lived in California.

My mom has a list of other vehicles to look at if we aren't happy with this truck or if they won't for our best offer.

It was great to talk to my cousin again. She is a very positive and sweet person. Always very bubbly (but not annoyingly so).

Despite the bad stuff with the cars, tree, and the accident, its nice that I'm going to get to see her again. Her kids have grown up so much!

Phish, I need the Judge from that little store we went to when I was out your way. They don't sell them here.

I installed an attic access ladder in my garage today. It was 6 hours of hell but now I can store my seldom used stuff into the 10' x 10' loft.

20160120_184019_resized.jpg

Nice attic ladder. I still need to get mine installed someday.

Got up at 5am and we drove up to Houston to look at vehicles for sale. With a few issues with GPS it took about 3.5 hours-- the Planet Ford lot is HUGE. I can't imagine what their overhead is on that property and all the fancy stuff in it. But they have a room with video games for kids, free non-alcoholic beverages, snacks for $1 (which probably should be free considering how long they make people wait), and their desks are freaking touchscreen tablets. They use those for doing contracts.
We took the truck we wanted to my cousin's mechanic and he inspected it for $50 and pointed out some minor issues but said its a very good truck. Mom insisted on negotiating and she totally sucks at it. She just blew it right away. First off, she let slip that we don't currently have any vehicles bc of the tree thing and that gave them leverage. Second, she asked them how low they could go instead of setting a price and seeing if they would budge. We would have ended up at the list price on it if she hadn't gotten a print-out from TrueCar knocking a few hundred bucks off. That brought it to below list price once the doc fees and other crud were added in. They tried to pull a fast one and initially had the contract with the list price and they were trying to claim that someone else was handling the price reduction and stuff like that. Anyway, they refuted the mechanic's claim that the tires were dry and cracking and refused to knock anything more off the price. But, they did put it in for the TrueCar price once my mother insisted they honor that. It took 5 hours to buy the car. I don't know what was taking so long. Maybe they thought if we were tired that we wouldn't notice them slipping the higher price in. I don't know. But the truck was selling for $5k below the market value. I think if we'd been adamant enough and Mom hadn't sucked at negotiating that we could have gotten the price down more, but we got it and it's a great truck. My brother was skeptical but now he love the truck.
Since my cousin lives around the corner from the dealership, we visited her for a few hours and she made dinner. We ended up leaving late at night and headed home. I spent about 2 hours trying to keep my eyes open and we stopped at IHOP for a break and some more food. My vision kept getting too blurry so about half an hour from home I pulled over and let Mom drive. I should have just kept driving. LOL. She ended up going into a ditch because she was messing with the heat controls and not paying attention. Fortunately it came right out of the ditch and there was no damage. We got home around 3:30am.

We had closed our front gate when we left but when we got home the gate was wide open and the back door (which was locked) was open, but nothing seems to be missing. I don't know if someone broke in or if it was the same issue with the door not staying closed that we had awhile back. But I really don't like that someone opened my gate while we were gone. I wish I knew who it was.

I'll probably get some pics of the truck tomorrow. It's pretty cool. Right now I need to get some sleep.

I know it is a done deal with the new car, but if you type in the code printed on the tire, it will let you know how old they are, and this can be used to help negotiate a better deal for a used car.

The boss didn't have a lot of work for me today, so I took the day off. Just the second time in 4 years I worked there I took a random day off, so he had no issues with it.

I used the day to go get a Rheem Marathon 50 Gallon electric hot water tank, a bunch of pex and wirsbo fittings to re-plumb all the water pipe in my house. It's all copper right now with some not looking so great. Laid everything out so tomorrow morning when my wife leaves for work, water gets shut off and I start cuttin. The electric tank is an effort to begin getting off of oil. Then come the spring time I will be installing a heat pump (I did HVAC before I was plumbing) and off of oil heat all together.

Frodo, we even told them that the mechanic said the tires were old and were dry and cracking but they claimed that they didn't see what the mechanic saw and that it was their absolute lowest price and refused to budge. That was after my mother let slip that we didn't have any vehicles (because she doesn't know when to shut up-- I had told her before not to give any info like that out) and she let them set the price. The only reason she got a lower price was because of the Truecar thing.

They almost forgot their battery starter thing in the vehicle-- and it was the only one they had on their lot. But I wasn't rude enough to take it, so I pulled it out and handed it to the salesman before we left. He was grateful that I remembered and gave it back. I could have been a dick and driven off with it and pretended I'd forgotten.

Too bad one of my uncles wasn't there with us. I think either one of them could have negotiated a better price. But, we still paid less than bluebook recommended sale value and my brother loves driving it so much that he actually picked up enough trash to fill 11 trash bags and he started on picking up laundry to load up to take to the laundromat in the morning. He hugged me and thanked me for researching and finding it. LOL.

The pic my bro took of the truck after a few trips down our road:
tumblr_o1eb8y8yaG1qkwd9ao9_r1_540.png

My tumblr posts with pics from the listing:
http://randomsudoisms.tumblr.com/po...ior-shots-of-my-used-2013-honda-ridgeline-rtl
http://randomsudoisms.tumblr.com/post/137867775670/interior-shots-taken-by-the-dealer

I just saw a listing for a "purple" CR-V at one of the dealers. There were zero pictures so my curiosity got the better of me and I sent them a message asking for pictures. I want to see what a purple one looks like. LOL.

My brother and I were discussing how we never had heated seats before and never thought we would care about that option, but its very nice in this cold weather. My brother loves it. I turned the heat on for his seat a few minutes before arriving to pick him up. We already have a steering wheel cover on (a sort of plush one to make it warmer to the touch) and I got an inexpensive throw blanket for the rear seats. It doesn't cover the back, but it fits on the bench nicely and doesn't interfere with the seatbelts.

Weather permitting, I'll get some more pics tomorrow. We want to get a bed cover of some sort that will protect our stuff from rain and can handle going through the car wash. We also want to get some running boards so it will be easier for Mom to get in. I'm thinking of getting some of the Westin boards with non-slip surface and finding an LED light kit for it. We'll have to keep some rags/tissues in the car to wipe off the backup camera when the roads are muddy. I discovered that the trunk lock is powered like the rest of the locks but a key can be used manually to open it as well.
I'm waiting for the e-mail to arrive so I can activate my membership at the ridghlineownersclub forum. The dealer used that forum to find out how to get the backup camera and gps working (it required putting in a code but for the life of us, we couldn't find where the code was). I told him that we would not buy it unless the camera worked. He spent a long time trying to figure it out and then finally found it-- code is on the side of the glove compartment when its opened.

Back