What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned out great. A bit rare for my liking so I cut off the good pieces and threw a few too rare pieces back on the BBQ searer for about 2 minutes. Great stuff.

My ISP is being a pain and not loading the video so I'll have to load it after midnight.
Edit: I had to spam click it to make it work. Wow! That is awesome.

I went in to the insurance office because I hadn't heard back on the CR-V. The adjuster hadn't even looked at it yet and the agent in the office said that if he couldn't do it that they needed to get someone to look at it. Turns out the estimate for repairs was over $12k so they are declaring it a total loss as well. That means we need to shop for two vehicles. Bleh. They are supposed to call back later with more info. We are also still waiting to receive the total loss package for the Expedition.

To give you an idea of the scale of the tree they want $3800 to cut, I've circled the branches on this image
tumblr_o0sz8bgsND1qkwd9ao1_1280.png

My brother was acting like a whiny entitled little prig earlier so I was mean and antagonized him a bit this morning. He antagonizes me all the time but I rarely do it to him, so it was good to get it out of my system a bit.

Last edited:
You should be nice to your sibling....at least until he is asleep. THEN you can have a bunch of fun with him.

LOL! Well, he started kvetching at me while I was driving him in to work. They were doing some road maintenance and the tractors were taking up more than half the road so I had to hug the edge-- but the side I was on had some major erosion and some deep potholes/ruts and I didn't want to damage the rental vehicle so I was going slow. My brother started griping up a storm about how I was stupid and didn't need to go so slow. So, I said, "Ok. I'll just go slower now." and he flipped his lid. He said "I'm going to punch you in the face, push you out of the car, and drive myself in." At which point I came to a complete stop and put it in park and told him I wasn't moving until he apologized.

He went into full tantrum mode and shoved/hit me (arm and shoulder) while screaming "Get out!" He nearly slammed his phone on the dash and was raging and whining and saying he was going to call mom and tell her I was being a c***. He just started going off about how I didn't care if he was late for work and blah blah blah. I just laughed at him and told him if anyone was going to get out, it was going to be him. Anyway, he called Mom and started demanding that she get a car for him asap so he didn't have to put up with me driving him in. She told him that he was just going to have to get someone else to drive him then and he called her a b**** and hung up. He continued to rage and I decided I'd had enough fun and said "Look at the clock. We have 20 minutes and we're less than 10 minutes away." He calmed down a bit and apologized. I then told him that if he'd been running late I wouldn't have stopped the car and antagonized him, but he was being such a whiny brat. He got to work more than 10 minutes early because the rest of the trip was short-- and the door was locked so he had to wait another 5 minutes to be let in.

I don't normally act like that, but he has been so annoying. He was nice to me the rest of the day though. He even scooped the ice cream for me because I was having a hard time with the damn scoop. I suck at scooping the ice cream and he always manages to get a nice round scoop.

On a complete side note, I have a legal question: Say the sales tax for my cousin in Texas is 8.25% but sales tax where I live is 10%-- is it legal for me to give money to my cousin to buy a vehicle at a lower interest rate and then turn around and sell me the vehicle for like $5? (I'm sort of guessing it wouldn't work, but I figured I'd ask).

Nice try on the tax, but the taxes will be collected from the origin of the registration location.

I also live about 3 miles from the local county line which has a higher tax. I purchased a windshield washer pump for my daughter at a local Pep Boys and found out it was defective. Knowing this store only had one pump in stock, I needed to drive 3 miles away to the next nearest Pep Boys (the higher tax county) to find a replacement pump. I exchanged the pump, but as I went through the checkstand, the girl charged me $.10 more. I was frosted because I had no change, so I needed to give her a $20 dollar bill for that dumb dime. That was a few months back and it still pisses me off because that just doesn't seem right to me.

Nice try on the tax, but the taxes will be collected from the origin of the registration location.

I also live about 3 miles from the local county line which has a higher tax. I purchased a windshield washer pump for my daughter at a local Pep Boys and found out it was defective. Knowing this store only had one pump in stock, I needed to drive 3 miles away to the next nearest Pep Boys (the higher tax county) to find a replacement pump. I exchanged the pump, but as I went through the checkstand, the girl charged me $.10 more. I was frosted because I had no change, so I needed to give her a $20 dollar bill for that dumb dime. That was a few months back and it still pisses me off because that just doesn't seem right to me.

By origin of the registration location, do you mean the tax where I register the vehicle?

I know that in the past when we bought vehicles, they didn't charge us the tax of the area where we purchased it, but of our physical address. It gets confusing because our zip code is for the city which has 10% tax but because we technically live outside the city limits and don't get the same services we have like 8.7% (which is still greater than the max rate in Texas).

I wouldn't actually try to have my cousin buy it and then sell it to us-- but Mom did joke about doing that. LOL.

Ugh, sucks about being charged the extra dime. I once returned something purchased at a Walmart in a town with lower sales tax that was an hour away, but returned it to the local Walmart (after being told by an employee that they took returns from other Walmarts) and they gave me back the sales tax for my town instead of the other town. I didn't notice until after I left the store though.

In California, if a cousin purchases a vehicle, then sells it to you, they must report the selling price and you would be taxed on this amount. Sure, you could say you only paid $5.00 for the vehicle, but I'm sure you remember what your mom told you about lying, right?

We drove to Santa Monica for a doctor's appointment yesterday. Nearly 2 hours to get there, one hour doc visit, combined with a 1/2 lunch, then a 3 hour drive home. I really hate traffic, but it was cool looking at things while sitting in the passenger seat.

20160112_142636_resized.jpg

20160112_142654_resized.jpg

20160112_145441_resized.jpg

20160112_150607_resized.jpg

20160112_150626_resized.jpg

20160112_152447_resized.jpg

20160112_152848_resized.jpg

I went to work today. Tomorrow I get to drive to Pasadena for a 7am meeting that will take all of about 15 minutes.

Heh. My mother is not the most honest person in the world so there were no big lectures about lying.

My day started out ok with the arborists arriving around 7:30am. I was documenting the tree cutting and then I called the insurance company to find out if the packet for the total loss had been delivered to their office since it had not come to my house. They didn't call back until after 2pm and then they said the packet must have been lost so they would send it again. Around 3:15 I headed in to town to check the post office (which closes at 4) to see if the packet had been sent there. I was going through a green light around 3:30 heading east when all of a sudden I got slammed and the car spun around. Rental vehicle is totaled.

So, I spent a few minutes looking for my phone and then had to field questions from the other driver, cops, paramedics, called my insurance company but kept having too many interruptions. I texted a friend to ask if he could give me a lift, but his truck wasn't working. I had to sign a waiver to say I wasn't going to the sucky ER here. Turns out the driver went to school with my sister. She felt awful about it and first thing she told the cop was that it was completely her fault. Her air bags had all deployed and she got hit in the face but was ok. I wear my seatbelt tucked under my left arm or else it lays across my throat, so I smashed a tit and have some bruises, but otherwise I'm fine.

The same guy who towed my CR-V away came to tow the rental and I told him we have to stop meeting like that. We were near my brother's workplace-- so close that all of his co-workers heard the crash and his boss went outside to look. He's given my bro the next few days off if he can't get a lift.

I called State Farm back and my agent as Jake. I asked him if he got the question about khakis or what he was wearing often.

I sat in Pizza Hut and made phone calls-- Hertz only had one employee in the office and couldn't send anyone out to get me for another rental, but said they would try to get one tomorrow.

Some other friends picked me up and took me to the salvage yard to get my stuff out of the rental (I had taken stuff out of another vehicle and set it in the rental but my brother took the plastic tub out so I had no boxes-- salvage place gave me a cardboard box).

When I got home I found out the arborists had broken a water line and that they will fix it tomorrow when they finish trimming the tree.

So anyway... UGH!!!

That is 3 cars totaled so far this year and it hasn't even been a full two weeks yet.
The first opportunity I got to take a pic of the rental was after it was hooked to the tow truck.
12523101_10153713469850168_6857260417356058965_n.jpg

The cops piled the debris from the cars out of the way so other vehicles wouldn't run them over and get damaged.
12417864_10153713468955168_3726407731597543974_n.jpg

As annoying as it is, I'm glad that it wasn't worse.

Good lordie girl. Maybe you should start looking at skateboards and a little red wagon to haul your mom and brother in!

Thankfully you weren't hurt worse than an owie boobie.

Good lordie girl. Maybe you should start looking at skateboards and a little red wagon to haul your mom and brother in!

Thankfully you weren't hurt worse than an owie boobie.

Yeah. It was a boobie boo boo. LOL. Better than if it had caught my throat. Although my abdomen will probably bruise. I banged my knee on something somehow, but its all minor.

At least the people at the scene were patient and understanding that I was trying to multitask and get over the sort of stunned bunny reaction of the car getting hit that hard. When I told the cop that I hadn't moved the vehicle at all and that the position it was in was where it landed after I got hit, he looked pretty surprised.

I think its ok for me to indulge in some chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate ice cream tonight.

One of my friends said I should just get a dirtbike or something. I said with my luck I'd get hit by a car while on it and then a branch would fall on me. LOL.

But, again, I know it could have been much worse. Could have ended up with a broken arm or worse if she'd caught the driver side door instead of the front of the car.

In the continuing saga of my crazy life: My friend who had nearly been killed in a wreck back in April came out to get me so I could go to Hertz to fill out the incident report and try to rent another vehicle. He had me drive since he was afraid to drive that far-- its good to know he trusts me. Turns out they have a policy at Hertz to not let someone rent another vehicle until they have retrieved the previous vehicle even if it was totaled and they said it might take 7 days to get it. The idiots didn't even have the info I had given them before (I told them the address and phone # of the towing place that had the vehicle). So we had to just head back without a rental.

I spent hours on the phone with both insurance companies and the rental company which led to a lot of frustration with each trying to pass the buck (not surprising). The other driver's insurance said they don't work with Hertz but that they could approve of a rental via Enterprise. I may have to see if I can still get that done, but Farm Bureau is closed for the weekend.

I went to my doctor and he said that I should be out of the woods with anything major, but there's a chance my kidneys could have been damaged. He's going to run some tests and get back to me. Meanwhile, he said it will probably take 5 to 8 weeks to recover even without kidney issues. He took note of the various bruises and sore spots to write up for the insurance company. One call with the insurance lasted an hour and thirteen minutes. Ugh.

My friend took my brother in to town and a few hours ago I saw headlights in the yard and assumed it was my friend bringing my brother home. I was feeling too achy to go out and see him. Later I heard my mom on the phone with my brother and was confused and started wondering what the headlights were-- then my dogs started barking and more headlights showed up. There were a bunch of police vehicles. Turns out some felon was fleeing from the cops-- had taken them on a high speed chase of over 100mph -- running other cars off the road. They said he was armed and dangerous. I saw the lights on in my workshop and told them they could search there but to be careful. Then I went into my house to get my 1911 and searched the house for any signs of an intruder, made sure the doors and windows were locked, alerted my mother (well, that was the first thing I did) and then went back out to report that the house was clear. I waited inside for probably an hour and then went to see if everything was ok and they said the perp's brother had called to say he'd been in touch and the guy allegedly ran off into the woods and crossed the river. I told them I would keep my doors locked and firearms handy just in case. They said to call 911 if he came back.

I must have seemed quite confused about someone being in my yard, so they didn't ask to search the house. I kept worrying that the guy was hiding in the workshop with a weapon waiting to ambush the cops. I don't know if they ever went inside the workshop to check, but I hope they did. I described the layout so they would be able to find their way around.

I've got one dog outside to guard the yard and another in the front room to alert if anyone tries to enter.

Anyway, I'm sleeping with the 1911 next to me tonight.

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone

Yup! One can work instantly and the other will take at least 45 minutes for help to arrive.

Now I'm tired but I can't seem to sleep though. I know I have to get up early in the morning to call Enterprise.

I ended up getting in touch with Enterprise again-- this time a different branch than I'd dealt with last time. I explained the situation and the clerk was sympathetic. She thought it was total crap that Hertz wouldn't let me use a different vehicle. There were only two vehicles available and they were both regular cars. I decided to take one since I could upgrade to something larger later and the clerk said that I could drive it to Houston and turn it in at an Enterprise there when I purchased another vehicle. It took less than 5 minutes to get in and out the door and have the "keys" in my hand. The car doesn't really have keys though. It has the fobs with the computer chips and there is a Start button. The gear shift is a knob that turns. The GPS shows the curve / angle the car will go at if the wheel is turned when backing up and it has a red zone, yellow zone, and green zone to show the space. The center console is pretty cool. The cupholder part slides away to reveal a compartment with a USB port and power outlet. It's also so quiet I could barely tell it was on.

Planning to go to Houston maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Wish me luck.

Good to hear girl.

Had the electrician over today and helped me install new exhaust fans (fart fans) in the two remaining bathrooms. He also installed new breakers and provided me a dedicated circuit for my air compressor and 3 more plugs in the garage so I can eliminate my extension cords. All used a two part epoxy and filled in the chips in the garage, slowly preparing for my new epoxy floors.

Back