What did you do today?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it. My brew store sells them for about 400 bucks. They have plastic cheaper.

99.99 for the 5 gallon plastic. I am going to get one

400.00 for a 15 gallon?

I was at brewhaha today, picked up a bunch of yeast and some enzymes

starting a batch of bananna wine i call nanner pudd'n

and some apple cider/jalapeno

Last edited:
My day started with a call from the vet for a followup with my cat who had 8 teeth pulled. Poor baby only has 6 teeth left (he never had the front teeth in the middle between his canines). Took him in and he wanted to snuggle with me the whole time at the office. No charge for the followup so that was nice. Picked up mail at the post office (since we don't get home delivery) and headed home.

Then I tried to re-hang one of the French doors between the kitchen and greatroom but the screws were stripped and I will need to drill new holes. My brother had to help me because my back gave out partway through the process and I couldn't get the lower screws back in. I was trying to re-hang it because when the new carpet was installed, the installer took the doors down and hung one of them up a little too high so now it hits the top of the frame when closing. I wanted to lower it back down, but it refused to cooperate and still hits the top. It wasn't doing that prior to the carpet install, but it didn't start catching until the weather warmed up and the wood expanded.

Then I swept the floor and picked up trash from the dogs tearing into the trash in the greatroom, swept the kitchen floor, wiped the counters down, cleaned the microwave, cleaned the toilet, put away some paperwork of Mom's, moved some stuff around, took the trash out in the kitchen, replaced the spiral lightbulbs in two fixtures with the LED bulbs-- but only one of them worked since the fixture (or wiring to it) in the greatroom isn't working. Even after replacing bulbs, we don't get power to the light just inside the front door, the adjacent tool closet, and the light on the front porch. Checked the breaker and everything is on, so I think the wires got fried or chewed by whatever monstrous critters are lurking in the attic.

I'm about to head out to pick my sister up at the airport.

Got woken up from my nap by a loud crash. The water oak decided to keel over and die-- right on top of both of my cars, the carport, and the awning on my porch.

Still trying to upload more photos of the damage. Expedition is totaled. CR-V might be salvageable. But we are stranded out here until someone can come pick us up.

View from my bedroom window
945498_772801622852705_216848382909587015_n.jpg

If the tree had landed a few feet over it would have come down on my head.

It also smashed one of the gates and part of the fence on the side.

Update: The tree
1913777_772841689515365_2861235181343236204_n.jpg

Back end of the Expedition
1661736_772841732848694_570642509282529126_n.jpg

The CR-V
995352_772841619515372_4084723982475542916_n.jpg

Last edited:
OUCH!!!!!!!! enterprise rental will pick you up

I hope so. Last time we needed a rental, the place said they didn't pick people up. I think that was Hertz. My insurance company allegedly called them and they were supposed to call us, but never heard from them. (As in, insurance company said they were going to call but I don't know if they did).

So, now we need to replace two vehicles and the price of both will barely cover one. Ugh. Trying to decide which one to replace first. We used the Expedition a lot for hauling stuff and carrying passengers places. Although, I wonder if a Honda Ridgeline would accomplish the same thing. Not sure how comfy the seats are though. The CR-V was my brother's everyday use one with low gas usage...

My brother's co-workers picked him up and took him to work and a friend is driving him back home in exchange for some pasta from Pizza Hut. He asked my brother to spell his name out with the chicken in the pasta. LOL.

Havasu, Yeah, when I saw where the branch landed I realized I was lucky it didn't hit the house more and didn't land on my head. A few more feet over and it would have nailed my room-- and my headboard is right against the window.

in buying a new truck.this is what i do. it works for me.

go online,research what you want and what you will pay. write amount on the back of a bidness card
go see your banker, get preapproved.

then the fun part.
go to the dealer, stand in front of the truck you picked out.

when the vulture walks up, hand him the card, tell him to call you when he is ready to sell that truck

point at that truck

he will call, making deals..hold out.

at the end of his pay cycle, when he needs the sales commission, he will call you to come get it

do NOT discuss finance with him, he wants you to finance thru them. so he can stick it to you with the interest

suggested retail [sticker] minus 10% not a penny higher

We usually try to get them cheap enough that we don't have to finance, but I don't know if that will be possible this time around.
I tend to look up the price on kbb.com and if they try to charge higher, I tell them to take a hike.

Btw, here's a video of the tree damage
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9Ku7zn0sc[/ame]

Most people are shocked when they see pictures of the size of the tree. Even pictures don't quite do it justice-- hence the poorly filmed video.

The good news is that the son of the guy who bought my tractor came out with some friends and excavated the vehicles. Expedition was able to be started and moved and the front windshield is intact so it could be driven in an emergency.

The CR-V had to be pulled out of its spot by the Log Hog because its battery died from the light being on (we couldn't get inside to turn it out). But it *might* be able to be fixed. Its the one that is worth more money if totaled, but we don't want to have to replace two vehicles. If one could be salvaged, I'd want it to be the CR-V. We just put gas in it. Figures I just got new windshield wipers on the Expedition and its toast.

My mother wants another Expedition-- either Eddie Bauer or King Ranch but those are pricey and depreciate very quickly. I'm considering talking her in to getting a crew cab pickup truck instead. One that has the leather seats she likes, has enough space to hold 5 people, and has a place for groceries. I'm leaning toward a Honda Ridgeline because the frame is solid so it doesn't have some of the issues that pickups trucks normally have, it has a trunk in the pickup bed, the tailgate can fold down or swing out sideways, and it has excellent ratings on the review sites (not many are up for sale because people like them). They are less expensive than the Expeditions starting out and they seem to hold their value for longer. But, I'll have to see what my mother ultimately decides.

The nice neighbors are going to come back and finish with the tree tomorrow hopefully (cutting it up, hauling stuff off, and burning the smaller bits). I got one of the guys to cut me a slice of one of the smaller intact limbs. The larger ones were not in very good shape.

They are going to give me the number for an arborist they know and said that the arborist can cut the branches and leave them and they will clean up the branches for me to save some $.

The cows came over to see what was going on. My red cow was happy to eat the leaves and she also wanted to snuggle up to me. She loves to have her face rubbed and get scratched behind the horns and ears.

Monday we will see about getting the CR-V towed in to a place to get an estimate and I think we can drive the Expedition in (very carefully). I know I can't drive it up to the car rental place because I'd never make it through Woodworth without getting pulled over.

Hoping everyone else is having a better start to their year, but I'm still happy to be alive and not have a house that is mostly intact. Plus I got to meet more of the nicer people in the neighborhood.

This pretty much killed our plans for taking a bunch of kitchen stuff to Goodwill and hauling more trash to the dump, but at least the kitchen is a lot cleaner now. My sister has convinced my mother to get rid of a ton of kitchen stuff that was difficult to clean and in bad condition. We are keeping all of the Corelle stuff, but most of the crappy stuff that I hate is going-- although Mom wants to keep the damned translucent pink frosted bowls and plates that I hate. At least she let us chuck the fugly pink toaster. Now we need to set up our Darth Vader toaster.

And here I am just babbling away. LOL.

The tree has been cut down to a stump. Completely hollow in the middle with some kind of white fungus growing inside. There was also a big fat skink and a tree frog. I'll have to upload the pics later. They measured the stump and it was 6' 7" across. When trying to drag a chunk of it, the log hog stalled out. They had to do some repositioning of the chain and finally got it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGkbjIxk68"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NGkbjIxk68[/ame]

build a big bon fire, grab a few brewskies crank the stereo up.

watch

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZqUBdMriU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oZqUBdMriU[/ame]

Last edited:
Yup. There is a bonfire but it wasn't overly impressive. The size of the oak chunks was impressive. If you have a friend who just wants chunks of oak, its in the woods outside my front gate. But one piece was so heavy it stalled the log hog.

If someone could cut some of what is still good into slices, it might be good. I think there are some short logs out there too.

This fatty was living inside the tree.
10307410_773559782776889_2047365664988922902_n.jpg

There as a hole in the very center going below the roots. Mr Treefrog hopped out to see what was going on when we uncovered his home.
941601_773559812776886_8507375520329410608_n.jpg

This was the remains of the tree yesterday
1930810_773252049474329_5861264536150368272_n.jpg

And today:
1476143_773691302763737_4919620768647254745_n.jpg

They got it cleared away. I have video of the log hog stalling while trying to pull some of that stuff. It was a job. Took Mike over 8 minutes to saw through the trunk and then have the log hog push it over.

Arranged for an arborist to come out later today to give an estimate on cutting the branches on the oak hanging over the house.
Called the local branch of State Farm and got told that the local offices basically don't do jack squat but set up new policies and give people phone numbers for the main office.
Called Hertz and was told I'd have to call back later & they couldn't find my reservation for a vehicle.
Called Enterprise to ask if they would pick me up. Guy said "No." and hung up.
Called Hertz back and talked to the manager and was told they will pick me up at noon and take me to pick something from their limited inventory.
Talked to someone from State Farm about getting the CR-V towed between 2:30 to 3:00. Hopefully I'll be back by then.

I'm covered in cats right now, but in awhile I'm going to get up and clean out one of the lower cabinets, do some more dishes, and then get a tub to put stuff from the Expedition in. I should empty the CR-V too, but its mostly my brother's stuff. I'm thinking of telling him to do it if he wants his stuff back. I'll take my stuff out, but he can be responsible for his own crap for a change. I'm in a wee bit of a cranky mood. LOL.

Also, the plastic ring that is supposed to hold the fittings under the sink together keeps sliding off of the pipe so I had to temporarily use a rubberband to hold it together. It doesn't leak, but for some reason, it didn't want to stay together. Its the same elbow that was on before. I might need to replace one length of pipe or use a rubber ring as well.
883_771284069671127_18027986430274717_n.jpg

One day I'll get rid of the S-trap.

Back