1 trillion post thread.....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are. We have been Jack hammering for an hour and still not through the twelve inch thick concrete.

It does. Nature of the beast in Construction, sometimes things don't go as planned. Mental note for your business is keep a buffer for times like this. I could have fought it but that would guarantee no more work from these guys and I look at the long term. $800 today could make me thousands later.

Yes, I agree, on both points.

So far, I haven't taken a penny of profit out of my company. Reinvesting some of it, letting some reserves build up with some of it.

Even with my day job, I would always be willing to step up and go the extra 1/4 mile (not a whole mile), if there was any question as to whether or not something was my company's responsibility. But I would ALWAYS make it clear to the contractor how it wasn't in my contract, but I was going to make it happen anyway to keep their project moving.

BTW, I demoted myself from foreman back to installer a few weeks ago. No one except me, including the guy who has replaced me, is happy with it. But the micromanaging was getting insane, the labor situation was intolerable (train people just to get them pulled off of my project, then get rehire rejects to take their place, mythical subcrews that never appear, etc), and now that I am back to pieceworking, I have more than replaced the gas card money.

Sounds like you did ok then as long as they don't plan on getting rid of you over it. Are you almost to the point to where if something did happen you could go out on your own?

I am the opposite of a lot of contractors out here. I pay myself a salary which is slightly less then I made before I started and the rest stays in the business accounts and some gets invested in the market. That way if I had to sit home for a few weeks/months I will be ok. Also instead of going out and buying new things when things got better I started paying off my old bills.

Yes, I agree, on both points.

So far, I haven't taken a penny of profit out of my company. Reinvesting some of it, letting some reserves build up with some of it.

Even with my day job, I would always be willing to step up and go the extra 1/4 mile (not a whole mile), if there was any question as to whether or not something was my company's responsibility. But I would ALWAYS make it clear to the contractor how it wasn't in my contract, but I was going to make it happen anyway to keep their project moving.

BTW, I demoted myself from foreman back to installer a few weeks ago. No one except me, including the guy who has replaced me, is happy with it. But the micromanaging was getting insane, the labor situation was intolerable (train people just to get them pulled off of my project, then get rehire rejects to take their place, mythical subcrews that never appear, etc), and now that I am back to pieceworking, I have more than replaced the gas card money.

I've spent 99% of my working life in some sort of management position. I've always thought about back sliding and not having to deal with the responsibility, but then I would still feel the need to be in control, so I don't.

One more down!

How was everyone's weekend?

Tiring. Never knew going away for the weekend was so much work.

Got to the mountain house and my free truck was missing, found out someone had borrowed it for the last week and was using it for work. Not cool for not asking and me sneaking up without telling anyone.

Turned the water pump on to find a pipe had frozen and burst, bathroom flooded by the time I found it. Hose clamp and piece of rubber for temp fix. Cabinet ruined.

Went to good friends kids Bday party and had a good time then sat around and drank beers with my buddy til midnight.

Woke up 5am and couldn't sleep so i went out and built shelves in my shed and organized all my tools and boating stuff.

Friend called and said "hey you wanna help me work on my jeep" I said sure and went over (he has a 75 CJ5) We ended up stripping the entire thing and pulling the body off for a restore.

Got horribly sun burnt working on the jeep ( I guess the sun is more intense at 7,000 feet)

Worked to hard and got so beat that I still don't want to move and worked a full day today installing pavers at a neighbors house.

All this with the worst allergies I have ever had in my life.

All in all a good weekend I guess.

I just did family stuff. My weekend was lame compared to yours.

I am leaving Friday morning for Sacramento, well just outside of there for a funeral on Saturday. Don't want to spend eight hundred flying two of us up there so it is road trip time I guess.

I got the short straw and was on call... Saturday I got called out at 8 to shut off a hwt. then spent the day sanding priming and painting my bike fork and bars.
sunday called out to get gas to a grill so a resturaunt could open.. again at 8, no sleep in for me... Then I built up my frame with the components I ordered and 5 G later I now have a new Dh bike Built up.... still on call till tomorrow so thats when I go riding .

will do when i get some, camera crapped out a few months back and building this gravity machiene was priority. :cool:

I am leaving Friday morning for Sacramento, well just outside of there for a funeral on Saturday. Don't want to spend eight hundred flying two of us up there so it is road trip time I guess.

How much will you spend on the road trip?

They always end up costing me more than I anticipate.

Back