Wax Ring Replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to replace a toilet wax ring. I replaced the ring a lot of years ago and used an Oatey johni-ring Standard Wax ring. I went to buy the same product and also saw the same thing in the Reinforced version which includes an alignment sleeve and a bolt kit. The Reinforced product says it is 5X stronger. When I did the last replacement I considered the rubber one and contacted the toilet manufacturer and they recommended the wax ring.
Which product do you folks recommend?

I use regular wax seals without the horn.

reinforced ? I haven’t found the need.

I have to replace a toilet wax ring. I replaced the ring a lot of years ago and used an Oatey johni-ring Standard Wax ring. I went to buy the same product and also saw the same thing in the Reinforced version which includes an alignment sleeve and a bolt kit. The Reinforced product says it is 5X stronger. When I did the last replacement I considered the rubber one and contacted the toilet manufacturer and they recommended the wax ring.
Which product do you folks recommend?
Use a wax ring. Why must we try to fix something that is not broken?

As much as I hate wax rings, as they are not forgiving if you don’t do them right. When I had to put my toilet back after re-piping I went tried and true wax ring. I just got the extra thick one. I researched all the wax-alternatives and many had good reviews, but every one of them had their fair share of bad reviews.

As much as I hate wax rings, as they are not forgiving if you don’t do them right. When I had to put my toilet back after re-piping I went tried and true wax ring. I just got the extra thick one. I researched all the wax-alternatives and many had good reviews, but every one of them had their fair share of bad reviews.

The problem is the people leaving the review are most likely clueless……..

This has probably been asked a million times but do you:
A. Install the ring on the bottom of the toilet first OR
B. Install the ring on the floor flange first

Interesting assertion. If it's because of the automatic unrolling capability of toilet paper, mine seem to unroll equally well from either the top or the bottom. Of course, it's been a couple of decades since we've had kids in the house and I may have forgotten.

Interesting assertion. If it's because of the automatic unrolling capability of toilet paper, mine seem to unroll equally well from either the top or the bottom. Of course, it's been a couple of decades since we've had kids in the house and I may have forgotten.
The reason given was that if young toddlers slap or bat the roll it will unroll if it is 'over' whereas if it is 'under' it will not unroll.

Roger that. Toddlers usually bat in the downward direction for sure. Now I recall why I installed four correctly sized rubber o-rings on the spring loaded gizmo to create enough friction that it wouldn't unroll under any circumstances.

A cast iron over the pipe flange is bigger than a wax seal.

So if you install it on the toilet, the wax will not seal to the flange.

Big facts

I agree with you on that. I also use the wax to embed the toilet bolts so they stick straight up, to ensure when I drop the toilet, it is dropped exactly at the correct spot. Once the toilet bolts are semi-tight, I sit on the toilet, wiggle around to smash the wax evenly, then level, secure the bolts, then apply caulk on the front and sides for a finished look, and to stop future wobble. Then I tape a "do not use for 24 hours" sign on the lid.

Back