Water Dripping From Shower Head

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webmonk

Reaction score
I've read what I could about this topic and have made a number of changes but still have the problem. I am renovating a house and one of the showers I ran 1/2" PEX from the valve to the shower head. When I turned on the tub faucet it would drip quite a lot from the shower head. I never measured, but I would guess maybe a cup in a minute or less.

I tested without the tub faucet on to take the shower diverter out of play and it still dripped out.

I contacted Delta and as soon as I mentioned the problem they said with no hesitation that it was the seats and springs and sent me replacements. I put them in and the dripping continued.

I read that the PEX has a slightly narrower inner diameter than copper and it allows the water pressure to push the narrower column of water up to the shower head without the diverter engaged. I opened the wall enough to allow me access to the pipe going up to the shower head. I cut all the PEX except maybe 6" that was connected to the valve. The remaining 3' or so was replaced with 1/2" copper with a push connector. I was disappointed to find that this didn't solve the problem either.

Following the same narrower inner diameter of PEX thought, in one final attempt, I swapped the 1/2" copper with 3/4" copper. Still drips out at roughly the same rate.

What am I missing? A problem with the valve? Something else?

I'm at the end of my remodel and need this fixed and the hole in the wall patched so I can get the house sold. Any advice is truly appreciated.

The diameter of a pipe has no effect on head pressure, only the height. Otherwise I don't quite understand what's happening, does it drip if the valve is shut off, or only when your putting water in the tub? It sounds like you need a new diverter valve.

If you piped the spout with pex then that’s your problem.

If you use pex for the spout drop when you run the tub you will get what’s been called “ shower rise “

It’s when the spout piping is restricted snd the pressure allows water to rise into the shower pipe and dribble out the showerhead.

Thank you for your replies.

does it drip if the valve is shut off, or only when your putting water in the tub? It sounds like you need a new diverter valve.

It drips only when the water is coming out the bathtub faucet. As I mentioned, even took the tub faucet off (just a pipe sticking out into the tub) and when I turned on the water it dripped even then, so it won't be the diverter because it wasn't even attached.

It’s when the spout piping is restricted snd the pressure allows water to rise into the shower pipe and dribble out the showerhead.

When you refer to the spout piping, which are you referring to? In the photo below, are you referring to C? What is the solution? Would either of the following work?

1) Replace pipe C as close to the valve with Copper to allow for a quick transition to a less restrictive size?

2) Raise the shower head? If so, any idea how high? I know there are variables, just a rough guess based on someone who may have solved this issue by raising the shower head.

valve plumbing.jpg

How do I use copper if the connection on the faucet is for PEX?

Remove the fitting you have screwed onto the valve at “ c “ . Its a female pipe x pex adapter. Remove it with pliers.

The spout outlet at “ c “ is pipe threads. Not pex machined into the valve.

Put a wrench or pliers on the hex at “ c “ and turn clockwise. It will unscrew.

Last edited:
I was unable to see the valve well because I opened the wall from behind and there was a board in the way. I saw what you spoke of. I have actually replaced all PEX leaving the valve (shower and tub) with copper. It has solved the problem.

I had researched this some over the past few months and understood the general issue with the PEX, but was incorrect in what I interpreted to be the location of the issue (pipe to the shower head). For those who also have this issue, the solution is the pipe going to the tub faucet. Since PEX is slightly narrower than the copper pipe, the water cannot flow through it as quickly and the pressure builds up enough to allow water to back up the shower pipe and dribble out. Hope this helps others diagnose the issue more quickly than I was able.

Latest posts

Back