Vibration from water well pump heard on floors above

Discussion in 'Pumps and Wells' started by Bucky Plumber, Feb 6, 2020.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Feb 6, 2020 #1

Bucky Plumber

Bucky Plumber

Bucky Plumber

Hello,

A minor annoyance of my current water well pump system is the noise of a low steady vibration heard on the main floor and second floor of the house. It is not a knocking or clicking noise, just a steady, low vibration noise.

I am guessing it is the vibration from the pump system traveling through the copper piping into the wood foundation. I have tried to put rubber pads between the copper pipe and wood foundation where the copper pipe is mounted to the wood. This did not dampen the vibration at all.

My next thought is to remove a piece of the copper pipe on the main pipe (vertical piece show in picture) and insert something that will absorb the vibration. I was thinking possibly a 1" steel braided hose but am worried about restricting water flow through the main pipe and also what would happen when this line fails.

Any ideas or suggestions to help? Is there a piece that can be soldered in the main line to break the vibration?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Feb 7, 2020 #2

Valveman

Valveman

Valveman

Pump Controls Tech Professional Lifetime Supporter

You are on the right track. A short piece of flexible pipe like the steel braided or even black poly will usually isolate the house from the vibration. Short piece of 1" braided is not going to restrict much at 10 GPM or less.

Sometimes the vibration is from a resonance. The length of pipe in the well can accidentally be the right length to cause a resonant vibration. Shortening or lengthening the drop pipe even a foot or two will usually stop that.

3. Feb 7, 2020 #3

Bucky Plumber

Bucky Plumber

Bucky Plumber

Thank you for the reply! I will let you know how it goes, although it will probably be summer time before I complete the project.

Draft saved Draft deleted