Time to replace my Gas Hot H2O Heater. Advice?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De-Don

SpecialCaseInvestigator
Reaction score
MY A.O.Smith FPS40, a NG Power Vented Unit is now leaking profusely out of the bottom of the tank, a trail of trickling HOT water escapes the lower shroud near the front pilot access door and trails down to the concrete floor beneath the metal seat on which the whole unit sits. I can't complain. It has a tag indicating a December 1993 install. I moved here in '04.

I've done minor repairs (PRV and flushes), never changed anything else but, I realize that this leak is not a good sign.

Will someone please advise me regarding what I should know before I start shopping? Do I need to measure the height from the floor to the connection for the exhaust? I'd like to use the original venting from that point through the basement wall near the ceiling if possible. I want to do this myself since I know I can as long as I can find a gorilla to help me get it down in the basement.

I turned the water and Ngas back on, this evening just long enough to take a shower but, I don't know if this thing to rupture and spill water all over my basement or not so I shut it off again after my shower.

How can I not go with another A.O. Smith, at this point? Any recommendations for a replacement unit? I'm sticking with NG, maybe 50 or 55gal., max. and the power vent system was somehow required for my home back then, I assume, so I'll stick with that, as well.

I am not a professional plumber, but I have changed out many water heaters in my rental properties. Around here, it is Bradford White and Ruud for the most part. They come in two heights, shorter and wider, or taller and narrower. You should be able to find one that is the same height as the one you have.

I now install mine using all flex lines (water and gas) so that the next time I have to change it out, it is a simple matter of unscrewing a few hose connections, rolling in the new one, and rolling out the old one.

Good luck.

Thanks. I found a slightly higher capacity unit and found a retired plumber to do the install. I ordered an A.O.Smith SMIGPVT50, this morning since my current one is a power vent unit. With some slight mod.s, I feel I will be pleased. Thanks for your input, Jeff! 954+130shipping from NY to DE via FedEx+600labor. The labor figure was MY figure and he said I would offer less...oh well. When he said his son was going to help him, I bumped myself. :) I could have done it but, I'm a light weight with tender rotator cuffs so, I'm"good." Again, thanks.

Latest posts

Back