Terrible Sewer Smell!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24thMoment

Reaction score
We just had our kitchen sink drain cleaned yesterday, plumber used some type of acid product. Drain works properly again, however we now have a noxious sewer smell that permeates through the house…we did not have this smell prior to the drain being cleaned. Windows have been opened, etc…24hrs later it still stinks.

Is this normal, or could something else be causing the smell, and is it dangerous?

Thank You!

The cleaner might have burned through the pipe, and now sewage is leaking out somewhere, and sewer gas is also getting out.
Or he left a clean out or other fitting open somewhere, under the sink or elsewhere.
Call him back either way.

It is a rented apartment, we are on the 2nd floor, of a 2 unit building (one unit above). Nothing underneath but an entryway. The only thing the plumber did was dump the product down the drain and reseal the pipes under the sink, and left.

We had to pay for the plumber to fix the clog, but now wondering if its part of a larger problem with the terrible smell?

I’m trying to be better informed before calling the plumber/and or landlord back.

Thank You!

There could be a clogged vent pipe.
When the people upstairs flush their toilet or use their sinks or bath, that can push sewer gas out of your drain traps.

Meanwhile, if your sink is draining ok, the problem is now up to your landlord to investigate.
Of course, you should first make sure that everything was properly re-connected down under your sink.
There might be an open clean-out plug.
Or a damaged air admittance valve, if they even allow those over in Belgium.

Great, thanks Jeff! I am from the US, so it can be frustrating dealing with things here. The more you know, the better :)

I have a bathroom in my home that gets little use and occasionally, the water in the P-traps evaporates enough that sewer/septic gasses are allowed to back up into the house until I run enough water back through the drains to refill the traps. I know zip about plumbing but could something like that be part of the OP's issue?

Latest posts

Back