Sump pump running frequently

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenThumb

Reaction score
we recently moved into a home that was built in the late 50’s. It has a combined sewer/storm water system that collects in the basement and drains to the rear of the property. We live in the city so we are in municipal water and sewer services. We have a sump pump that is operational.

Now for the problems. Whenever we use a water source (shower, washer, toilet, etc), the sump activates. During a shower session lasting fifteen minutes, the sump will activate maybe five or six times. Also, there is a loud “water hammer” sound as the sump shuts off. The sump is placed under a cabinet and during storms, with heavy evacuations, the inside of the cabinets get extremely wet. As if it is aspirating. Not sure of the age of the sump.

So the sump technically works. But I feel that probably the sump needs to be replaced. I’m also afraid that the combined sewer/storm water pipe is busted under our basement. I have minimal knowledge of plumbing. Can anyone tell me what may be going on? I fear that the sewer pipe is draining into the sump. I am sure I need to call a plumber, no doubt. Just would like to know what the intelligent people here can tell me about what might be going on.

Thanks in advance.

That's a tough one without actually looking at it. We can speculate a few things for sure, but I'd say get your sewer cameraed and see if it's damaged. Secondly, you say combined. Do you have two pumps or one. Meaning do you have a sewage ejector and a sump pump or just the sump? Lastly, how many levels is the house and in what showers do you notice this.

That's a tough one without actually looking at it. We can speculate a few things for sure, but I'd say get your sewer cameraed and see if it's damaged. Secondly, you say combined. Do you have to pumps or one. Meaning do you have a sewage ejector and a sump pump or just the sump? Lastly, how many levels is the house and in what showers do you notice this.

Single sump. It’s 1-1/2 story with finished basement. Two full baths. Doesn’t matter if it’s flushing the toilet or using the shower on the main floor or the shower in the basement.

And sewer line goes into the slab correct? Do you have toilet paper and fecal matter and other nasties in the sump pit?

And sewer line goes into the slab correct? Do you have toilet paper and fecal matter and other nasties in the sump pit?

Not sure what you mean by slab. Apologies. I have never opened the top of the sump. It is very awkwardly installed below a large cabinet next to the washer and dryer.

Concrete slab of the basement. Might have a small peep hole where the extension cord comes up through the lid. Might not be a bad idea to pull the rubber up and have a look inside.

Concrete slab of the basement. Might have a small peep hole where the extension cord comes up through the lid. Might not be a bad idea to pull the rubber up and have a look inside.

Yeah, main stack goes straight down into the slab near the sump.

I'd say it's worth getting a plumber out. Might want to camera the sewer line while they are out.

Latest posts

Back