Sump pump cycle running much longer when triggered

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgizzle

Reaction score
The pump’s cycle started running much longer that it used to. Now it drains the pit and continues to run dry for another 15 seconds or so. It used to run the perfect amount of time, until the pit is almost dry.
Any ideas on how to get it back to a quicker cycle? My original video was too large to upload, so had to shorten it and now doesn’t show it continuously running after pit is dry.

Attachments

• 64DCBB11-012E-4F66-A8DC-5416854800DB.jpeg
    64DCBB11-012E-4F66-A8DC-5416854800DB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    28 MB
I never liked a submersible pump for just this reason. It seems , in the winter months, up in New York state , the sump water is so cold that it makes the float cord stiff so it takes a few extra seconds for the float to settle to the bottom to shut off the pump . After 2 submersible pumps over the years , I installed a high quality pedestal pump and never had a problem for over 12 yrs now.

I never liked a submersible pump for just this reason. It seems , in the winter months, up in New York state , the sump water is so cold that it makes the float cord stiff so it takes a few extra seconds for the float to settle to the bottom to shut off the pump . After 2 submersible pumps over the years , I installed a high quality pedestal pump and never had a problem for over 12 yrs now.

Did you look at the pic the guy posted ?

I just assumed that it was quite obvious what the problem could be. Seeing he was from Indiana , my experience with submersibles was as noted with a clean sump system. Merry Christmas

I just assumed that it was quite obvious what the problem could be. Seeing he was from Indiana , my experience with submersibles was as noted with a clean sump system. Merry Christmas

The float switches he has do not move on a wire.

So it’s quite obvious that’s not the problem.

Merry Christmas

Back