Strange "anti-scalding" feature of the new Rheem gas water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkirill

Reaction score
I have installed Rheem gas water heater at my place in Sep 2020 and it started misbehaving right before Christmas (turning off pilot light randomly). I found lots of similar complains on YT where people suggested to bypass the white "anti-scalding fuze" between the thermocouple and the control valve (see the attached pics). I did (jammed the thermocouple directly into the control valve) and it worked but I need to understand what my options are re permanent solution. I didn't see any recalls on the Rheem web site.
wh2.jpgwh3.jpg
I still have their standard warranty but before I take this route I'd like to understand the risks of leaving everything as is. Is that thing really necessary? Why would anti-scalding safety work through thermocouple?

You’ve disabled the high limit cut off.

if the water heater over heats the water heaters thermal limit device within the probe of the control valve opens and disconnects the thermocouple circuit to shut the heater down.

There’s no reset and the control valve must be replaced if activated.

You bypassed that safety feature.

Rheem had a bad batch of gas valves recently, I believe it was some of the SIT valves which that looks like one. Contact Rheem and they should send a replacement. Like @Twowaxhack stated you have disabled an important safety device.

that old saying "too much technology" - risk managers and designers want to make the entire universe fail-safe and risk proof.

It’s been a safety feature of gas water heaters for over 40years that I know of. I’m sure it’s saved some from blowing up.

when i was in apprentice school , 50 years ago, i watched a film in class where they jumped the thermos stat , hi limit and safety valve . they but it inside a building a field. and watched from 330 yards away. The building was make with concrete block.
the hot water tank exploded.
the was no building left and no blocks, you can watch something like what happened on myth buster .
message do not screw around with controls .

Back