Simple job but I'm clueless...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichMich

Reaction score
I have a rental property. Installed this shower cartridge and handle in 2017. Lasted till now. Current tennant didn't tell me that it broke and used pliers to open the water.
I'm an IT guy. Still think I can fix it.
So:
1) what tools would I need?
2) what parts? Can you PLEASE check Home Depot or Lowes and tell me what part?
3) Can total rookie like me do it?
I do some basic plumbing but this is a step up for me. For sure.
Attached are pictures from current state.

Thank y you Pros for any advice!66835B2C-632B-4B66-AD98-C909050EE7C7.jpeg81BA909E-6E82-461B-97B4-19DDACFDF1D2.jpeg66835B2C-632B-4B66-AD98-C909050EE7C7.jpeg81834D58-3BA6-473B-BD84-243E3160E970.jpeg81BA909E-6E82-461B-97B4-19DDACFDF1D2.jpeg53F20181-1309-4DA8-982C-5440FD67CA43.jpegB3A5C392-93D7-4A6A-87FC-6CD717C597D7.jpeg

Also. What type (name) of cartridge that one is?
It's the one that you pull out to get water flowing and then turn left or right for cold or hot water.

Older brass cartridge . Turn water off , remove brass clip . Need to get outer barrel of cartridge to turn to loosen and pull out . sometimes stem pulls out and leaves outer barrel stuck in faucet body . If that happens take easy out and get outer barrel to spin and then it can be worked out . hopefully you can get cartridge out without too much trouble . They supply a little white piece with new cartridge that helps loosen cartridge .It fits around stem and helps loosen cartridge . Back in the day the little piece was brass and worked a lot better than the plastic one . Moen sells a couple tools to help remove stubborn ones

BTW...Moen offers a lifetime warranty.
I doubt you want to wait for one to arrive by mail, but you might want to have a spare, when the next lifetime is up.
Lifetime warranty = Good for life
It broke? Well, it's life is over.

they only warranty for life if you are original purchaser . little white lie will get you one for free , but they are getting wiser

Not true. I get cartridges and parts warrantied for my customers all the time. I once got a 20 year old set of faucets replaced that passed through multiple home owners!

If the tenant is using pliers, it seems like all you would need is a new handle.
Your trim kit is also looking pretty corroded, you can get handle at big boxes or Amazon, trim plates also.
If you have lost the chrome sleeve that covers the cartridge, you can get those also.

I also have one of those Moen cartridges in my shower. With time, the handle gets harder and harder to pull out (or push back in). I've replaced the cartridge twice over the last 10 years and it works great for awhile. I've also disassembled and relubed it several times but the problem always returns after a year or so.

Any ideas on this? Is it normal to get sticky?

I also have one of those Moen cartridges in my shower. With time, the handle gets harder and harder to pull out (or push back in). I've replaced the cartridge twice over the last 10 years and it works great for awhile. I've also disassembled and relubed it several times but the problem always returns after a year or so.

Any ideas on this? Is it normal to get sticky?
Great question.
This is exactly what happened here. After only 3 years this thing become unusable.

Are these valves used often? Seems to me the more they are used, the better they work (very common with many things in life!) . I have a spare bath that never gets used, and my Moen valve is a bugger opening and rotating.

I've been a Moen fan for over 40 years thanks to their warranty, price and parts availability. But have found that when there is very hard water the brass cartridge doesn't like it . I replace it with the 1225 plastic cartridge. Lubricant it well with silicon grease before installing and you shouldn't have any more problems.
I would get a new "trim kit". The escussion plate looks terrible and that handle isn't an original Moen.

Are these valves used often? Seems to me the more they are used, the better they work (very common with many things in life!) . I have a spare bath that never gets used, and my Moen valve is a bugger opening and rotating.
The Moen cartridge is used once every 3 out of 4 days. There are things that do "get better" the more they are used, but then all of a sudden those things up and die.

An old saying about car engines- "That engine never ran as good as it did just before it blew!" ;)

Dang.
I've installed it.
All according to y'alls advise.
I've tested. It worked perfectly.
And now my new tenant says:

"that it used to drip and then eventually stop and now it’s a constant drip all day"

It drips even when shut off... Dang.

Latest posts

Back