Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings. We’re looking to install a glass shower enclosure in a corner in a guest bath in a California. The existing space we have to work with is ‘very’ tight in all directions (see attached plan). When I Google the minimum allowed size, most of the home improvement websites cite 30” x 30” min. with a min. 900 square inch area curb to curb. The actual California Plumbing Code (section 408.6) indicates that you’re allowed to have ‘one’ dimension be as tight as 30” but the overall required space needs to be a min. of 1,024 square inches. This means that the other dimension needs to be a hair over 34”, or if we’re applying equal dimensions, needs to be 32 x 32 to get to 1,024 sq. in.

Note that we considered going with a longer shower that butts into the back of the coat closet but trying to avoid having to furr out the left wall and replace the bathroom entrance with a narrower door.

Three questions.

1). Assuming the 1,024 sq. in.. is correct and the 900 sq. in. is incorrect?

2). The code says the measurement is to be taken from ‘top of threshold.’ Does that mean top of curb? In other words, can the measurement be taken from glass to wall instead of inside of curb?

3). Wishful thinking, but is there a code exception I’m missing that allows shower curbs (not enclosure wall) in encroach into the 15” min. clearance from the centerline of the toilet?

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• Shwr Plan 21_07.04.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 5
The only exceptions in the code are for handicapped accessible showers which are larger. No exceptions for the toilet.

If i were you I'd call the local inspector and ask what they will accept. Being in California you are likley to get dinged for stuff like this. That is unless you are skilled in the ways of not getting dinged, lol.

Wow, never thought of it I guess. If you wanna go smaller, I guess you could just say it's a dog bath. LOL

Back