Salamander pump trouble getting started

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketurner201

Reaction score
I have a Salamander pump model CTFORCE 30PT installed in 2016 which was a replacement for the same one that stopped working (dead). I have 3 showers, one downstairs and two on the first floor. My cold water tank is in the loft (above the first floor) and my hot water immersion tank (with an Essex flange fixed off the side near the top) is on the first floor.

The pump that stopped working after 2 years was a CTFORC30PT and went dead in 2016, Salamander came out and said that the natural flow rate was fine (4, mixed, 2 hot, 2 cold litres) but it had been fitted with an elbow coming off the outlet hose and needed to be a straight fixing and also it was "borderline negative head may not be required if hose was corrected"

So the pump was replaced in 2016 with the same CTFORCE 30PT and recently I have found that I have to lower my shower head (flexible hose) to make the pump come on and it would stay on once. Recently over the last two weeks I have had a new bathroom installed on the first floor with a fixed shower head in the wall tiles.

I now find that my new shower has a problem getting the pump to start, I have to turn it to cold to get the pump started then I turn it a quarter of a turn and wait a minute, then keep repeating the action until I get normal hot water. If I do this too fast the pump stops and I have to start again.

My wife's shower next door on the first floor is the same. The downstairs ground floor one is fine.
All showers are mixer valve showers.

I have spoken to Salamander and they asked me to check the flow rate for 30 seconds with the pump turned off and its:

Ground floor shower : 1 litre cold. 1.4 litres hot and 1.550 litres mixed hot and cold together.

First floor new bathroom: 700 ml. cold. (less than 3/4 of a litre). 670ml hot and 700ml mixed.

Wife's first floor bathroom: 750ml cold, 900ml hot and 1 litre mixed.

It has been suggested that I get a new pump CTFORCE30TU which is universal and work with negative and positive heads ? I have spoken to the plumber who did the installation in 2016 and he said that if the pump electrics are turned off then you will not get much water through the shower as it's trying to go uphill ?

Can anyone suggest anything please, could I measure the water going through to the pump by removing the hoses and doing a measurement ? Any help or advice you could give me would be much appreciated.

Just wondering if the pumps only last 2 to 3 years. It has a 5 years warranty but
I’m a bit worried about getting Salamander to come and check the system as it will cost me £120 for just the visit.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice where to go next. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back