Rust around outlet of hot water outlet on heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior9

Reaction score
Hello! I wanted to get some expert opinions on this rust that I noticed around my hot water heater outlet.

This is in a new construction home, just a little over 1.5 years old. There was a leak at this location shortly after closing, they sent the plumber out who just tightened it up. I’ve never noticed water there again, even as it sits in the picture it doesn’t feel wet.

My plumbing/mechanical warranty is up at 2-years, so I wasn’t sure if this should be reported or not. I just don’t want to see something fail pre-maturely. If you think I should put in a warranty request for this, how would you describe it, and what type of repair would be acceptable?

Attachments

• 5796105F-BB2C-4B3B-B2E2-EF0890DFBFAE.jpeg
    5796105F-BB2C-4B3B-B2E2-EF0890DFBFAE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 010E516A-C5AE-4B32-AF51-C44D1797F32D.jpeg
    010E516A-C5AE-4B32-AF51-C44D1797F32D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Looks like it’s been leaking a little on and off.
Hard to tell, since it’s under warranty I’d have that replaced.

The longer this sits in this state the less likley it will be to come back apart in a way that is intended. The corroded outlet nipple and corroded connector will fuse and one could crush or strip the swivel nut. Replace it all.

Thank you both for confirming my suspicions. I didn’t feel like it was just cosmetic, but wanted to be sure anyway.

I went ahead and submitted a warranty request asking to have the plumber come out and replace the nipple, connector, and swivel nut.

There could be a small crack in the tank lining from that nipple being over-tightened at the factory.
They are very often so ridiculously tight.
That could cause corrosion there.

I wanted to post an update for everyone. The plumber came out this morning and looked at it. There was what seemed to be a very minor leak, it was caught in the act as he arrived since it was wet.

The plumber who was out here said there wasn’t anything wrong with the nipple, so he wouldn’t replace that. He said it was only corroded from the leak. He brushed it up a bit with a wire brush and pressed a new fitting onto the copper.

Attachments

• A0208165-6E38-4C92-9290-D5F697328B39.jpeg
    A0208165-6E38-4C92-9290-D5F697328B39.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back