Recommendations for kitchen sink and basement below?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berderder

Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

While trying to install a filtered water spout, I opened up pandora's box with corroded fittings on my water supply lines. Even after removing as much gunk as possible from copper (or is it brass?) elbow and hand tightening new MIP nipple with clockwise teflon tape, I'm still getting a little leak. At this point I'm afraid of replacing the elbow and yanking on the supply coming through the floor because the thing seems really stuck.

IMG_5300.JPEG

House was built in 1918 and so this plumbing work maybe is from 1960's to 1990's? Should I close up the hole around the base of the water supply? That's let water leak down into the basement where I have a blower fan on high pointing at that spot.

IMG_5303.JPEG
IMG_5294.JPEG

Also, what do you think I should do about this jumble of ductwork, dryer vent, sewer, etc down here if anything? Does anything stand out to you? Seems like something could be better routed or organized

IMG_5288.JPEG

I’d take it all apart and clean off all the Teflon.

I’d use 2.5 wraps of Teflon and then a light coat of Teflon pipe dope.

Put it all back together.

Be careful of that brass piping it almost looks like"fine thread brass" there is tons of it in the homes and blds in Boston from that period it's not IPS I'm guessing you have that because all of the fittings are buried into the threads, fine the thread is also a little smaller in diameter you can also tell, if you can, see the threads that there alot more compared to your new IPS brass

Back