Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found out that water intrusion claims stay with the house for the next 5 years, regardless of who the owner is. Once you make an inquiry, the red button is pushed. If there are any intentions of selling the home within 5 years, it will show up on a title report and will hinder future sales of the home (or possible forced to discount the property). Personally, I'd bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.
Not my call

When you live at sea level there aren’t many basements.
Of course. My home on a lake was at "sea level". Yet, I had a 4 block crawl space, with about 36" of headroom all around. Concrete floor. Others had more by raising the house a little more above grade. Was a total pleasure to work in. Plenty of room all around, clean and dry...while just 50' from waterline. The builder built it for himself until we came around and bought it from him. Photo attached. I thank my lucky stars that the builder had the sense to do it right. Flat crawl, concrete floor. About as good as a crawl space can get.

When designing a home you can do it cheap, or you can do it right. If you don't account for future servicing you are just pushing trouble into the future. A crawl space you can't crawl in is just trouble. Can't go down deep? Or at all? Should have thought of that (I know this isn't your home) in the initial build, and set the home higher. If you have to basically demolish part of the floor or use jackhammers for repairs, something's very wrong.

I'd never buy anything like the photos you showed.

Attachments

• IMG_5165.jpeg
    IMG_5165.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Of course. My home on a lake was at "sea level". Yet, I had a 4 block crawl space, with about 36" of headroom all around. Concrete floor. Others had more by raising the house a little more above grade. Was a total pleasure to work in. Plenty of room all around, clean and dry...while just 50' from waterline. The builder built it for himself until we came around and bought it from him.

When designing a home you can do it cheap, or you can do it right. If you don't account for future servicing you are just pushing trouble into the future. A crawl space you can't crawl in is just trouble. Can't go down deep? Or at all? Should have thought of that (I know this isn't your home) in the initial build, and set the home higher.

I'd never buy anything like this.
These houses were built in the late 40’s and 50’s. They were built cheap.

These homes of course didn’t have any air conditioning. Since then people installed air conditioning that made a vapor problem. Not only with the ground but the humid air itself in the atmosphere down here near the water. We also have more rainfall than most anywhere else in the country.

So the floors can rot out and termites are a problem.

Times were tough. They used what they had.

I’d never buy a home on piers. In fact I would never buy a home, I build them. I don’t build on low ground. I also don’t have plumbing problems.
Since were now taking about what we’d do personally.

If you have a basement @dmmsr you are probably in great shape. You can probably "abandon in place" any offensive in-wall copper drain pipe and install PVC without tearing up walls. Then do all your attachments in the basement. WAY better a scenario than someone on a slab.
Does not make it much better. There is still the vent in the wall behind the cabinets. I still would have to deal with that. Only way I would not is if I cut the vent from the roof or cap it up there. Rain would sill get in there if I would abandon that line. I do have a house trap for the time being so I could leave it and not get sewer games but it still could be awful in the way.

One way or another I would have to cut open the cabinet to make it right by capping off the branch or repipe it.

I’d never buy a home on piers. In fact I would never buy a home, I build them. I don’t build on low ground. I also don’t have plumbing problems.
Since were now taking about what we’d do personally.
Sorry, I guess I took it somewhere I shouldn't have. 😞

Sorry, I guess I took it somewhere I shouldn't have. 😞
No problem. Old construction is just that, old construction.

A lot of the homes in my area are very old and were built in not so good times in history. Very few codes.

Plus we get more rain than most. Once during a tropical storm we received over 36” of rain in a couple days.

Usually a basement isn’t a person first choice living near the beach.

I have found out that water intrusion claims stay with the house for the next 5 years, regardless of who the owner is. Once you make an inquiry, the red button is pushed. If there are any intentions of selling the home within 5 years, it will show up on a title report and will hinder future sales of the home (or possible forced to discount the property). Personally, I'd bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.
Do you have a link for this or does it vary by state? I'd love to convince some friends & neighbors who tend to file claims for small stuff, water intrusion or other, that it might not be such a good idea... thanks.

It was told to me by 3 different insurance underwriters in California and personally affected me since the previous owner was a crook. I'm sure this info is not easily available to the general public since this is how they rate your houses insurance pricing.

I liked the fluted trim and bullseye rosettes around the oven in that picture where you had to cut into the wall behind the corner cabinet.

My house is on piers-- a lot of houses in this area are. Although at least one of them has dropped because of soil erosion from the condensate line dripping under the house-- they didn't angle it properly or set anything up to divert flow away from under the house-- it terminates at the very edge and then water drips back down the pipe. Well, the condensate isn't the only reason-- previous plumber dug a pit under the house to gain access to fix plumbing and it never got filled in.

Sketchup of part of my bathroom. I measured & my tub is ~16-1/2" up from the floor while sitting on a 3/4" strip of wood. The tub surround I want is 58" high so I marked a dotted line at that height. Marked another dotted line at center of the proposed showerhead height. The highest dotted line is at 72" above the top of the tub (not including 1/4" expansion gap) for the height of hardieboard stacked horizontally. Although, it's only 60" if I put it in vertically. I'm thinking I want to use hardieboard all the way up the wall with the showerhead but am debating having it shorter on the other two sides (which might look weird but would save $ on more materials).
1671159675424.png

So I bring this up with a neighbor who is planning on selling their home. After a little digging, they find out that they can request a CLUE report that contains claims data for the past 5-7 years. Only the owner can request it, not someone interested in buying the home, though many buyers now stipulate that a CLUE report must be included with the real estate transaction. Excessive claims on the CLUE can make it difficult or prohibitively expensive for a new owner to insure a home.
https://www.nachi.org/clue-reports.htmhttps://oci.wi.gov/Documents/Consumers/PI-207.pdf-----
They don't see any evidence that water damage claims show up on a Title report though, only a CLUE report. If they are mistaken, please let me know.

Although my title company failed to find out the water damage in my home, I've now been told a title company can request a clue report. This would have saved me thousands of $ and being forced to have very high deductibles on my homeowners insurance.
Why this is not made mandatory, I'll never understand except our state Legislature is for sure in bed with the insurance companies.

I had several customers that had insurance inspectors look at the home before they insured it.

They had old water heaters. Each customer was told to replace the water heaters or pay a higher premium.

Replacing the water heaters worked out to be the cheaper way to go.

So I bring this up with a neighbor who is planning on selling their home. After a little digging, they find out that they can request a CLUE report that contains claims data for the past 5-7 years. Only the owner can request it, not someone interested in buying the home, though many buyers now stipulate that a CLUE report must be included with the real estate transaction. Excessive claims on the CLUE can make it difficult or prohibitively expensive for a new owner to insure a home.
https://www.nachi.org/clue-reports.htmhttps://oci.wi.gov/Documents/Consumers/PI-207.pdf-----
They don't see any evidence that water damage claims show up on a Title report though, only a CLUE report. If they are mistaken, please let me know.

Majority of States have some sort of Disclosure Laws. If there had been (significant) water damage AND the Seller knew about it and did not disclose it I would guarantee you they'd be on the hook for repairs, punitive damages and attorney costs. Those clue reports are used in court for that exact reason.

Latest posts

Back