Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since a sink is a plumbing fixture, I have before and after pics of my sink. First pic was taken after I used lysol and a rough sponge and scrubbed as hard as I could but this was decades of crud. 2nd was after a few coats of baking soda & vinegar with some salt for grit, elbow grease, lots of swearing, and eventually some pumice stones (found in nailcare area-- which I had to ask for directions to find in the store).
1664094542813.png
1664094555491.png

Thanks, Blueskyhigh. They can scratch stuff but this sink was already scratched up and even has a chip in it. Re-glazing may be an option here. Although, a new sink might cost less. I need to get the measurements. It's easier to get side to side than back to front with the faucet in the way.
After using the pumice stone the surface still felt pretty smooth. The very edge of the sink wasn't glazed so the cast iron is exposed. Also, I hate the way they did the caulk. It's super lumpy. I need to figure out how to remove it. I'll probably remove it when it is time for reglazing (if I bother to reglaze) and make sure I get the edges of the sink) then do a new bead of caulk-- smaller amount and using the dish soap trick and make sure I smooth it out.

A friend of mine who is in her 60s and is a caregiver for her disabled sister sent me this picture of her tiny bathroom. Some company is supposed to come in and renovate. The plan is to take space from the living room to incorporate into the bathroom. I think some sort of insurance is paying for it since she said there is no cost to her. I hope its not some scam they are pulling on her.
1666296403622.png
Clearly no room to get a wheelchair through. Apparently the sister can walk some days but then has "episodes" where she can't and needs to be in a wheelchair. My friend's other sister moved in with her to help care for their disabled sister so she finally has help after taking care of her alone for over 20 years. Needs new floors, a curbless shower, a taller toilet, grab bars, maybe a vanity she can slip partway under while in a wheelchair. The toilet or vanity will have to be moved to allow a wheelchair through.
1666296723057.png

Here’s how they are doing laundry room plumbing these days here in NC. Note the left side of the box—that’s the condensate line coming from the HVAC in the attic. Quarter turn valves for water. The only issue here—and I don’t know the answer—is that for appliances on a pedestal or tall, modern units, it’s very challenging for a homeowner to reach the shut offs easily.

Attachments

• 8B59E714-F478-4274-A964-B787B1C8EB07.jpeg
    8B59E714-F478-4274-A964-B787B1C8EB07.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
That wouldn’t pass here. On that set up you’d need 2” showing of 2” pipe between the tee hub and the outlet hub of the trap weir.

2” trap requires 4” between the outlet and the vent. It has about 2” now. .75” in each hub and the tee take out is about .5”. That’s only 2”.

That would be called a crown vented trap. A form of an s trap.

Some pvc Ptraps have extended weirs so you can butt the hubs up like in the pic and it meet the requirement. The one in the pic above is not extended.

The pic of the condensate line is very interesting, and something I want to do the next time I open up the wall in my laundry room. Is it possible to overlay or write on the pic and post it, so it would pass code for me?

Since I have a front loader washer and dryer on pedestals, I need to pull the drywall anyways to raise up everything to be able to reach the shut off valves.

I understand, I was just explaining why it wouldn’t pass in some jurisdictions. Many jurisdictions will pass it.

Also, he has his 180 bend backwards.
Remember, the person who installed this is merely a plumber's helper with little guidance...no master plumber here except the owner of the company I would guess.

The first thing I noticed was that the trap arm wasn't long enough.

Remember, the person who installed this is merely a plumber's helper with little guidance...no master plumber here except the owner of the company I would guess.
Again, I’m just pointing out what’s wrong in the pic. I have no idea who piped it.

Mine's going to be hectic and expensive. My wife's B-Day is tomorrow and my Mother-in-Law's B-Day who lives in Kyiv, Ukraine, is on our Thanksgiving the 24th.

I've been tasked with creating a turkey out of SPAM and scrapple.

Latest posts

Back