Random plumbing pics

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember getting a phone call for a toilet clog. I augered it and pulled out roots. House was on a slab and figured the closet bend was broken. Pulled the toilet and found a wax seal that was not sealing.

It's amazing how far roots will grow to find that little bit of moisture.

I never liked the wax seals with horns. A lot of times when the toilet or main clogged it would leak due to the horn.

I make sure the wax seals have the horn on them when I put one in. I like them and never have any trouble with them.
I used too as well until I got into drain cleaning. I have noticed that 90 percent of times when a toilet is clogged or the main is backed up to the toilet and it has a horn it leaks and causes water damage. Now I avoid them.

Last edited:
I'm glad my house isn't on slab & that no plants grow that deep under the house. Just sandy soil. I'm sure there's fungus that can grow.
Someone on the Ginger Cat Gang fb group said her cat was pulling her caulk off her tub/shower.
1670950013837.png
1670950062468.png1670950087744.png
I'm no expert, but that looks like some kind of trim rather than caulk. I told the person that if it peels off that easily, then there was something wrong with it or it wasn't put on right to begin with. Said to thoroughly clean it and replace with 100% silicone. And to get the cat some toys/scratching post up in there as a distraction.
Some people said "lock the cat out of the bathroom" and that is fair, but its easier said than done bc cats are sneaky bastards.

It kills me to see this kind of stuff. Around here there's all kinds of people thinking they know how long and how much YOUR work should cost. "Anybody know a REASONABLE plumber? The quote I got to "fix my drain" was outrageous"

I hate pipes in a wall like this. Thank goodness you get paid by the hour.

Wow, that is the worst case scenario. My kitchen is set up the same exact way and with copper drains. I am so worried about that scenario on day. All solidwood cabinets with granite. I would rather rip off my siding and open it from the outside, but I also have a Brick house so that is out of the question. I do have a basement though.

I work for a company that brush coats pipe so I might have it brush coated before this happens to me.

By the way twowaxhack, nice job! It's refreshing to see a job not all hacked up.

...I do have a basement though...

If you have a basement @dmmsr you are probably in great shape. You can probably "abandon in place" any offensive in-wall copper drain pipe and install PVC without tearing up walls. Then do all your attachments in the basement. WAY better a scenario than someone on a slab.

If you have a basement @dmmsr you are probably in great shape. You can probably "abandon in place" any offensive in-wall copper drain pipe and install PVC without tearing up walls. Then do all your attachments in the basement. WAY better a scenario than someone on a slab.
this lady wishes she had a concrete slab. 40ACC3C0-2374-4953-B496-CE03CD765F2F.jpeg

I left it all for his insurance guy to see.
I have found out that water intrusion claims stay with the house for the next 5 years, regardless of who the owner is. Once you make an inquiry, the red button is pushed. If there are any intentions of selling the home within 5 years, it will show up on a title report and will hinder future sales of the home (or possible forced to discount the property). Personally, I'd bite the bullet and pay out of pocket.

Back