New member need advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my parents over paid for this place in 2001 and I wouldn’t even come close to getting it sold for a quarter of what they paid for it and no one would consider buying it with all the issues it has plus being in a flood zone. Probably won’t even pass a inspection to sell
If you know about a drainage issue, you are generally required by law to disclose it. You are required to disclose all known issues. Have a look: Learn These Basic Rules of Seller Disclosure So You Don't Get Sued For West Virginia, 2021 Disclosure Requirements for Selling West Virginia Real Estate

Homes do not "pass" or "fail" inspections. Conditions are noted and reported, and it's up to the client (whoever paid for the inspection) to determine the suitability of the said property for their needs, or how to address issues that may have been flagged.

If you know about a drainage issue, you are generally required by law to disclose it. You are required to disclose all known issues. Have a look: Learn These Basic Rules of Seller Disclosure So You Don't Get Sued For West Virginia, 2021 Disclosure Requirements for Selling West Virginia Real Estate

Homes do not "pass" or "fail" inspections. Conditions are noted and reported, and it's up to the client (whoever paid for the inspection) to determine the suitability of the said property for their needs, or how to address issues that may have been flagged.
I know that which is what I was trying to say to others which is why I don’t see it ever getting sold.

So, is it draining into the creek alright? Leave it until you can convert to aerobic?
I wish I’d have the money to do. That maybe in another 30 years but by that time the cost would be way more than now to go that route.

They do fail inspections to get the home insurance on it. Or if I want a decent price out of it it needs to be inspected so someone would feel safe about buying it and if they flag it there goes the sale.

I know that which is what I was trying to say to others which is why I don’t see it ever getting sold.
There is a market for anything and everything. Perhaps not in the timeframe you want or at the price you want, but someone somewhere may be willing to take on the project.

They do fail inspections to get the home insurance on it. Or if I want a decent price out of it it needs to be inspected so someone would feel safe about buying it and if they flag it there goes the sale.
I'm a Home Inspector. Home Inspections per se, do NOT "fail" a home. They report on the present conditions in the home at the time of inspection. In WV these are covered under your general laws, Title 87, Series 5, Section 11, the General Standards of Practice for Home Inspections. (Most states have something similar). Most home inspections shouldn't quote any code, and rarely (they should not) pass judgement on whether a property is worth buying or not, or any subjective opinions. Present the objective facts of the conditions, let the clients decide.

The contents of the report may allow others to make decisions based on the property. One of those decisions may be to not insure the property because it needs special flood insurance, or because of a known health hazard in the home. Could be any number of things. Fuses instead of breakers, for example. Defects in the plumbing system, etc. Simply because you are at a financial odds with the property doesn't mean others will be. Someone may come in, fix all the things your father didn't do, or didn't do properly, and make it wonderful. I've seen houses stripped to the studs, lifted off the crumbling foundation, and a new deep basement poured. I've seen homes MOVED from one location to another, sometimes on the same property other times quite a distance.

If you cannot fix it up as a livable home with functional plumbing and sewer, get a Realtor and sell it as is. Waiting for prices to rise is a waste of time; sunk costs (the money already invested in the home) are not relevant. It's just going to cost more to carry it over the years.

There is a market for anything and everything. Perhaps not in the timeframe you want or at the price you want, but someone somewhere may be willing to take on the project.
I doubt it, the only place or person interested in it is fema which they are not offering much at all. Which there offer isn’t enough to do anything with and I wouldn’t have anywhere to go or put all of my stuff at until I could find somewhere to go. The house just has way to many issues I’ve had a few contractors look at it and they said it’s better to just level the whole house and build a new one. They were surprised I’ve lived in it this long without it falling apart completely

I'm a Home Inspector. Home Inspections per se, do NOT "fail" a home. They report on the present conditions in the home at the time of inspection. In WV these are covered under your general laws, Title 87, Series 5, Section 11, the General Standards of Practice for Home Inspections. (Most states have something similar). Most home inspections shouldn't quote any code, and rarely (they should not) pass judgement on whether a property is worth buying or not, or any subjective opinions. Present the objective facts of the conditions, let the clients decide.

The contents of the report may allow others to make decisions based on the property. One of those decisions may be to not insure the property because it needs special flood insurance, or because of a known health hazard in the home. Could be any number of things. Fuses instead of breakers, for example. Defects in the plumbing system, etc. Simply because you are at a financial odds with the property doesn't mean others will be. Someone may come in, fix all the things your father didn't do, or didn't do properly, and make it wonderful. I've seen houses stripped to the studs, lifted off the crumbling foundation, and a new deep basement poured. I've seen homes MOVED from one location to another, sometimes on the same property other times quite a distance.

If you cannot fix it up as a livable home with functional plumbing and sewer, get a Realtor and sell it as is. Waiting for prices to rise is a waste of time; sunk costs (the money already invested in the home) are not relevant. It's just going to cost more to carry it over the years.

At this point, I’d be homeless selling it. My father spoke to a few realtors and they didn’t want to help sale it to much hassle is what they said. Whatever we could get out of it wouldn’t help get us a new place.

Out of curiosity can you post a picture of the house?
I’ll say this, the house has structural issues foundation needs a lot of work, walls are cracked inside the house, support beam needs replaced bad, septic issues, front porch is concrete which is giving in the center of it, mold issues probably gonna need a new roof ceilings are sagging windows in house need replaced they are cracked floors are uneven through out the whole house, and there’s a natural spring somewhere that runs right under the house throughout the lot. Just a lot of major issues

I’ll say this, the house has structural issues foundation needs a lot of work, walls are cracked inside the house, support beam needs replaced bad, septic issues, front porch is concrete which is giving in the center of it, mold issues probably gonna need a new roof ceilings are sagging windows in house need replaced they are cracked floors are uneven through out the whole house, and there’s a natural spring somewhere that runs right under the house throughout the lot. Just a lot of major issues
And gutters all need replaced, and front porch rails need redone and back porch needs redone as well

At this point, I’d be homeless selling it. My father spoke to a few realtors and they didn’t want to help sale it to much hassle is what they said. Whatever we could get out of it wouldn’t help get us a new place.
If you think living in a sorely neglected and possibly unsafe home beats any alternative, there’s no help we can provide you.

Even if you would be able to quickly correct the septic issues within your budget, it sounds like, from your description that there are additional issues needing attention. I haven’t seen septic work done without some kind of heavy equipment (excavator) along with gravel, sand, etc. not to mention pipes and more. All of this costs. Your own personal labor won’t defray too much of those costs.

If you were to sell the property you may very well see a bulldozer there the next day.

If you have major problems with your home, you have no alternative living arrangements, and you have no means to fix these problems, then your problems are really not the home they are financial.

The harsh reality is this may not be the best forum to solve financial difficulties. Best of luck to you.

Missing a boat-load if info here (probably on purpose!?) Going to assume you (now) own the home; if that is correct, and you seriously want to live in this place, I'd follow @Mitchetll-DIY-Guy guidance and spend $500 bucks to get a property inspection. It's the "first" step in knowing what you are dealing with.

However, if you don't/won't have the $$ to repair the issues, you seriously need to consider selling and moving on before the Market really starts to turn!

We sold 65 homes last year, 250 in the last 3 - there is a market for EVERYTHING. We deal in foreclosure and investment properties - trust me, yours is in much better condition than some of the ones I've marketed and sold - here is an example Mold house

If you think living in a sorely neglected and possibly unsafe home beats any alternative, there’s no help we can provide you.

Even if you would be able to quickly correct the septic issues within your budget, it sounds like, from your description that there are additional issues needing attention. I haven’t seen septic work done without some kind of heavy equipment (excavator) along with gravel, sand, etc. not to mention pipes and more. All of this costs. Your own personal labor won’t defray too much of those costs.

If you were to sell the property you may very well see a bulldozer there the next day.

If you have major problems with your home, you have no alternative living arrangements, and you have no means to fix these problems, then your problems are really not the home they are financial.

The harsh reality is this may not be the best forum to solve financial difficulties. Best of luck to you.
I know this is a plumbing forum, which is why i was asking questions, on what could be possibly done on the septic issues. The financial side is my issue which that’s life. I was not trying to ask anyone for finances, just ideas on how to fix it. Which I have received some decent info and I’m gonna figure out something . As far as living in a home that’s not safe I work a full time job that barely covers my bills to keep the utilities running. It’s the only optionI have. and when the original septic was installed they did it all by hand back then and my job allows me access to heavy equipment for free. But thanks for all your help.

Back