New member need advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jb29

Reaction score
I’m new to this forum, and needing advice. I’m in the process, of taking over my parents home. They have lived in the home since 2001. Well I have noticed that the leach bed isn’t draining very fast. It was installed by my grandfather and father, and to my understanding, when they dug, to put in the leach bed, ground water kept coming up. So they just put the leach bed sections, in over the water and sand. There’s no gravel under it. There’s no distribution block either, just a line ran from tank to leach bed from the tank. All drain lines from leach bed are clear so I’m sure the leach bed is what is not functioning properly it’s full of sand but the drain openings are all clear. What can I do ????

Probably replace the drain field.

You could try using less water….

We’ve slowed down, on using as much water, but doesn’t seem to be doing much. Plus I’ve realized, with all the flooding over the years, the yard has just filled up, with sand and I am sure there’s a natural spring, that runs through the yard somewhere.

We’ve slowed down, on using as much water, but doesn’t seem to be doing much. Plus I’ve realized, with all the flooding over the years, the yard has just filled up, with sand and I am sure there’s a natural spring, that runs through the yard somewhere.
You probably need a perc test done and a new drain field.

If it were a fairly new system there are things you could try but with an old field it may not work. Then you would’ve spent good money on a system that has to be replaced.

Find the most knowledgeable guy in your area.

According to my father, which I had no clue, about this kinda of stuff, besides the research I’ve done, some professional friends I’ve talked to but if I had a actual certified pro come out they would fine us because it’s not ran legally so I’m trying to fix the issue the cheapest way we don’t live in city limits and are not hooked up to city sewage plants or anything like that

According to my father, which I had no clue, about this kinda of stuff, besides the research I’ve done, some professional friends I’ve talked to but if I had a actual certified pro come out they would fine us because it’s not ran legally so I’m trying to fix the issue the cheapest way we don’t live in city limits and are not hooked up to city sewage plants or anything like that
I guess you’ll need to teach yourself how to design and install a septic system if you’re not going to use a pro.

You up to it ?

I don’t really have many options, that’s for sure, and right now, don’t have a budget, I’m waiting to start my new job,so money is definitely a big issue at the moment. But I’m gonna have to try to do it I’ve just never done anything like this before.

I don’t really have many options, that’s for sure, and right now, don’t have a budget, I’m waiting to start my new job,so money is definitely a big issue at the moment. But I’m gonna have to try to do it I’ve just never done anything like this before.
You might need a mound system. You might need to dig the entire area out 6’ deep and haul away the dirt. Install new dirt with a mound system. You may benefit from aeration.

Research the different types of private sewage disposal methods and learn as much as you can. It’s interesting and there’s a lot to it.

If I’d dig down 6’ of that area I’m guaranteed, to run into groundwater, there’s a natural spring that runs through the property that constantly flows through the yard, before this house was built this yard was a creek at one time. It’s in a major flood zone which has turned the yard soil to nothing but sand over the years.

If I’d dig down 6’ of that area I’m guaranteed, to run into groundwater, there’s a natural spring that runs through the property that constantly flows through the yard, before this house was built this yard was a creek at one time. It’s in a major flood zone which has turned the yard soil to nothing but sand over the years.
You may need to relocate the drain field and/or build a mound system.

Your land may not even be suitable for septic use at all.

Well after talking with one of the men who put the system in I just found out that the leach bed is only moving ground water they illegally ran a straight line from the run off tank to the creek apparently and by passed the leach bed because they had issues with the leach bed before 😮 which I never knew.

So at this point I don’t know what to do I can’t just move I have no money or anywhere to go and can’t get approved for a loan any time soon.

I wish I could but sadly no one would buy this place with all the issues it has. I would have to pay someone to take it sadly. Even if I could sell it wouldn’t be enough to find another home

Market is still pretty good. Make be a good time to sell and start anew?!
my parents over paid for this place in 2001 and I wouldn’t even come close to getting it sold for a quarter of what they paid for it and no one would consider buying it with all the issues it has plus being in a flood zone. Probably won’t even pass a inspection to sell

Back