Need Helpe Diagnosing Faucet Leak Repair Needed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John2510

Reaction score
My laundry tub faucet has started leaking at the valve on the cold side. Fortunately, the leak only occurs when the valve is open.

Here's a video I shot:

It started when I began using a portable reverse osmosis filter attached onto the faucet. I figure the resistance caused the leak, or at least made it worse.

Normally, I'd shut off the supply and remove the valve, but there's no shutoff for this other than the main shutoff for the house. So, if I break it on removal, I'm without water until I get it fixed.

My question is whether this looks like a fairly straightforward valve that I can pick up at any hardware store, or whether finding a replacement is likely to be a problem. I'm hoping not to have to replace the entire faucet assembly.

I note that there's a screw at the end of the valve handle, but it wasn't loose. Will I be able to remove the valve using that screw, or will I have to wrench it where it attaches at the manifold?

It is a standard globe valve, and pretty easy to repair. Typically they have a cone shaped rubber disk that closes on the seat. And packing around the stem.

They sell kits of assorted kits of the seal, and packing.

I’d recommend buying an inexpensive valve at the hardware store and tearing it apart to gain familiarity with the style, before you attempt the repair.

Its a Gerber. Remove handle, bonnet nut and stem. A little graphite string packing and some faucet grease. May need a handle puller or apply a little heat.

As bbp stated above.
The screw you mentioned allows removal of the handle only. And as mentioned it probably stuck, A little tapping may be enough to get it off.
The leak is just the packing around the stem. You must remove the bonnet nut(as mentioned) to expose the stem. That's the hex shaped piece that hold the stem/packing in place.
This link, although different faucet type, shows the process.
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/plumbing/how-to-fix-a-leaky-stem-faucet/#slide-1

Just re-read your comments relative to not wanting to shut off the water. That may be a touchy one and hopefully the others will chime in. Typically the stem itself is held in with a few threads on the stem itself BUT not sure if that's always the case and whether it's advisable to try repacking it without the water shut.

Last edited:
Turn off main valve to house. You should be able to remove bonnet nut without any issues, sometimes ive had luck just tightening the bonnet. Ya never know.

Latest posts

Back