Leaking shower - DIYer needing help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTBman84

Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

Pictures of piping

My girlfriend's stand up shower is pissing water all over the basement. I figure I am capable enough (fingers crossed) to fix it by myself. You can see what appears to be a seal hanging in the pictures. From where it appeared to be leaking (right around where the drain is, at the top), it seems like all that I would have to do would be to remove the old seal, replace it, and let it set.

I know the pictures aren't much to go by, but how hard of a job would you think this would be?

What tools would I need, and what materials? Also, what would be the best way of going about this?

She just wants to calk it, and I told her I would rather do it right(ish) the first time, then keep putting bandaids on it.

I've never done anything with plumbing before, but I've always used forums in the past to fix almost all issues I've had.

Thanks in advance.

I cant tell for sure, but that looks like the "push fit" type shower drain. Step one - dispose of that piece of garbage, if that is in fact what it is.

Buy a shower drain that the outlet pipe cements into like all the other piping. You will likely need to cut/coupling the existing piping.

Theres a big nut on the bottom of the shower. Once you thread that off you can remove the existing shower drain from up above.

Dont caulk it. If it doesnt leak right away, it will at some point. You will have more peace of mind when its done properly. With a quality shower drain installed properly you will never have another issue.

Last edited:
I cant tell for sure, but that looks like the "push fit" type shower drain. Step one - dispose of that piece of garbage, if that is in fact what it is.

Buy a shower drain that the outlet pipe cements into like all the other piping. You will likely need to cut/coupling the existing piping.

Can you show me examples of each type of drain you're talking about?

Basically, you're going to want me to get a 2" coupler to connect the old 2" PVC piping to the new drain? Am I understanding that correctly?

Peel or cut away some of the plywood to give your self some room to work with. Be careful not to damage the shower pan above.

Buy a large basin wrench. $15-$20 for a cheapo.

I use a brass AB&A shower pan fitting. I also use lead wool and oakum to seal the pipe into the fitting but you can use the neoprene gasket that comes with the drain if you want. This set of pictures I will pack the lead wool and oakum before I install the fitting. you can cut or drill the old nut on bottom of fitting to easily remove . You just have to be careful and not drill through the shower pan. there is a thin rubber gasket between the nut and the bottom of the pan.

Here's one of your pics and a few of mine. I made this repair Sept.14,2011

Pd2SYlW.jpg

031 (800x600) (400x300).jpg

032 (400x300).jpg

037 (400x300).jpg

039 (400x300).jpg

028 (800x600) (400x300).jpg

041 (400x300).jpg

Or you can try the using the Sioux Chief 825. PVC glue right into the bottom like Matt30 suggested .
The bottom side is a lot easier to grab hold of to tighten.

Okay, so here's the list I compiled of things that I'm going to pick up:
Sioux Chief 825

2. 2" coupler
3. Large basin wrench to get into the tight area
4. Fine tooth saw, or sawsall
5. Sand paper
6. PVC Primer & Cement
7. Permanent Market (to line things up)
8. Gloves (protect my hands from primer & cement)

9. A plumber on standby for when I mess up... or I mean, when I start the job for him to finish.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Do I need any screws or anything along with the drain? Anything I'm forgetting, or tips and trips? Should this be difficult for one person? Anything else I should look for while it is open, like hair in the U? How long should I let it set before I use the drain, again?

Please checkout the links so you can see what I'm buying. First time doing it, and although I'm feeling confident, I'm sure years of experience from you guys might be able to help me out by making sure I do everything properly.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Plumbers putty or drain putty (same things, some people call it different names) for the upper part of the drain that sits in the shower base. It creates a water proof seal between the drain and the hole in the shower base. Its like play-doh. Fun stuff!

what type of shower is that? is it a fiberglass showerr unit?
or a plastic unit?

your problem is the drain MR David is telling you about
AND.. BECAUSE. the shower unit floor is flexing, does it move when you step in to the shower?

if the floor moves, and the drain stays stationary. its gonna leak

the unit was not set in a bed of concrete when installed.
so the floor of the shower is moving, breaking the seal between the drain body and the unit

Last edited:
Back