Shower drain cover came loose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYprojects

Reaction score
The drain cover in our 5 year shower came loose. We did a quick fix with plumbers putty. That didn't work long. How would you fix this? Thank you so much for your expertise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 9.54.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 9.54.21 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 9.54.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 9.54.57 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 10.46.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 10.46.41 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Is it a problem that it's loose? They're made to come out. Looks like the screws might have failed.

Either: (a) the threads failed in the holes, or (b) the threads failed on the screws, or (c) both. If (b) buy and install new screws. If (a) you may be able to get the existing screws to hold by placing thin long shavings of wood (like lengthwise from a toothpick) in the holes before putting the screws back in. This trick is usually for wood screws, but it might work here too. That will only work if the hole has some depth. If (c), new screws with wood shims in the holes.

If these are just metal screws through a thin metal plate wood shims probably will not help. A slightly larger (diameter) screw might. I wouldn't think that they would be like that though, since water would probably drip through the threads, albeit slowly. So caution with rotating the plate and drilling new holes - seems like the existing holes, if they are all the way through the plate, would drip quite a bit unless thoroughly packed with something to seal them. Water will wick along the bottom of the plate to those open holes.

Clean that nasty looking thing first so we can see what we're looking at. It appears the plastic base broke that the grate screws into IMG_1065.png

Clean that nasty looking thing first so we can see what we're looking at. It appears the plastic base broke that the grate screws into View attachment 45422
Looks like you’re right. I didn't notice that at first. OP needs a new drain. @DIYprojects good news, and bad news...good news is you get a new shower, bad news is you get a new shower...

THANK YOU ALL for your advice. Any work-arounds? Can we clean up the nasty mess, and re-apply plumber's putty?

I’d clean it up and then once I can see everything make a decision.

THANK YOU ALL for your advice. Any work-arounds? Can we clean up the nasty mess, and re-apply plumber's putty?
Look at the picture in post 6. That is the bottom view, looking up. The square piece in yours broke off, leaving the cylindrical drain. I missed that the screws were still in the grate - nothing was stripped, holes or screws, the whole backing piece the grate screws onto broke off. Do you have access to the space below the shower? It looks like you need to replace the whole drain assembly.

What material is the grate and the pipe on yours? The one in the picture looks like it is all plastic:

https://www.oatey.com/products/oatey-testable-130-series-abs-drains--424859657

but they come in a lot of variations for shape and material.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back