Is This a Backwater Valve Cover? How to get it off?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJC

Reaction score
After confirming that the main line and the city/county portion of the lateral from our backwater valve to the street are clear, they camera'ed from the backwater valve back to the house. It revealed what is believed to ba another backwater valve in my basement. This is a 95+ year old house but sewer line is not as old but still may be old. There is a mysterious recess in my basement floor with what appears to be a cap to what I thought was simply an old cleanout. I've owned property for past 25 years and never paid attention to it because there is a new cleanout above the floor somewhere else. The county by the way would not snake past this valve and suggested I or someone try to open it and remove the clog. I enclosed a photo below and ask for help in knowing whether this looks like it is indeed a backwater valve cover and if so how would I remove it. I want to simply snake the drain from the house side out to/past it, not caring if I damage the flapper, but I don't know if that's a good idea. (As mentioned there is a newer (15 yrs old) backwater valve in the yard). Would you recommend snaking to it, past it, or jetting the line. It has been ruuning slow for a few weeks I believe and my daughter just informed me of that.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
you do not really want to do that, the snake will push by the flapper then when you try and pull it back
it will be caught and then break the snake etc etc....not a good idea\
if you clean it from the other direction, the snake will not go by the flapper

clean it up, remove the 4 bolts, pry the lid off, and see what is in there
when you put the lid back on, buy some permatex [auto parts] gasket sealant to make a gasket

bolts_001.png

Last edited:
you do not really want to do that, the snake will push by the flapper then when you try and pull it back
it will be caught and then break the snake etc etc....not a good idea\
if you clean it from the other direction, the snake will not go by the flapper

clean it up, remove the 4 bolts, pry the lid off, and see what is in there
when you put the lid back on, buy some permatex [auto parts] gasket sealant to make a gasket

View attachment 19754
Thanks. It was exactly like you stated and I took the plunge to clean the gunk off. I had sent the image as is because the substance covering it was so hard that it took some chipping and that took time. I think it was tar or asphalt perhaps. It was indeed a valve underneath and after uncovering it and removing a membrane between the lid and the flapper, i was able to see the flapper and clean out the drain. Will attach photos in case it helps someone else in the future. I am not sure whether I will eliminate this metal flapper (cut it off) and simply use this as a cleanout. It doesn't seal completely, just restricts flow going backward and there is one downstream installed by the city with a more modern design and is maintained and cleaned regularly. But a little extra insurance is always a comforting thought.
Thanks frodo.

the city usually installs those if your house is below the elevation of the street

they will keep your house from flooding during a heavy rain

I assume you’re referring to storm sewer. This application is for a sanitary sewer. But because the sewer company won’t address the problem of the line getting flooded with rain water I experience backups.

I assume you’re referring to storm sewer. This application is for a sanitary sewer. But because the sewer company won’t address the problem of the line getting flooded with rain water I experience backups.

A backwater valve is required by IPC and UPC plumbing codes, as well as many state and local plumbing codes, when the cover of the nearest upstream manhole is above the flood level rim of the lowest fixture in the building. The presence of a backwater valve can also be very important when a combination storm and sewer system is present as well as when sealed manhole covers are present in flood areas.

like Frodo mentioned some systems are combination storm/sewer....even if its not people, pump water anywhere they can just to remove the water from their house...usually its the closest sanitary drain rather than out the window.....

Thanks all for your help and advice. These are the final pictures from the surgery. I closed it back up for now with a new sheet of gasket over to contain sewer gas in the pipe. Got an estimate on replacing with a cleanout and will decide on that vs cutting off the flap with a dremel or just leaving it alone.

Attachments

• Backwater Valve.jpg
    Backwater Valve.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back