Hot water line corrosion at hot water outlet junction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemilw

Reaction score
Hello,

We live in a house that is about 2 years old. The hot water heater after about 1 year started corroding at the top, where the copper meets the hot water line (output). Water was seeping through very minimally. The picture shows this.

I contacted the contractor to ask them about this, even emailing the same picture. The head service tech called me back and said that a 3/4" rubber washer was likely to blame as this partially disintegrated, causing the leak which eventually caused the corrosion. Is this feasible? I thought this corrosion could be attributed to galvanic issues. I even brought this up to him and suggested possibly there should have been a plastic piece or other sort of separator to ensure this wouldn't have taken place. They want to charge $125 to fix this ($125/hr labor).

Is there a professional plumber out there who has an opinion on this?

Thanks
Mike

2016-02-23 08.18.21.jpg

Looks like a compression fitting. Throw that away and tell the moron to do a professional job and hard pipe it in. Compression is for home depot

In addition-

Either confirm installation or install PEX lined galvanized nipples...

(Heat trap nipples shown - PEX lined similar in appearance)

WH- Heat Traps _1 - Flapper Style Dielectric.jpg

Yes heat trap or pex lined nipples. Then sweet on copper female. The shark bites are acceptable.... Brass male fitting will work also. Brass doesn't hate steel as much as copper does. 2 rounds of Teflon only 2 rounds. Then just enough thread seal to slick it up and reduce friction. Keep the thread seal on male threads only and wipe off any that gets inside pipe.

Back