Hose bibb replacement issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthorns1976

Reaction score
Today, I attempted to replace a hose bibb that had a very, very slight drip. The hose bibb was attached to a galvanized pipe that comes out of the ground. The hose bibb was basically at ground level. I had to be on my knees to attach a hose to the faucet. When I attempted to remove the old hose bibb, the galvanized pipe cracked. So, then I was in over my head. I managed to get a plumber out to fix the problem so the water could be turned back on. The plumber dug deeper than I had and found that the old galvanized pipe had apparently been leaking for a while. I left the plumbers alone to do their work. When I went to check on the status of the work, I found that the work was completed and the plumber appeared with my bill. I paid him and he left.

The plumber replaced the galvanized pipe with a 1/2" copper pipe sticking out of the ground 16 inches and an angled hose bit attached to the copper pipe. The hose bibb points skyward. Needless to say, the 1/2" copper pipe sticking out of the ground 16 inches is not resilient and it will have to be insulated in the winter. This is not what I would have done by any means.

If I want to remedy this situation, how should I proceed?? One thing I know I want is a hose bibb that does not point skyward. The old hose bibb pointed straight out, not upward at an angle. Also, I want a more sturdy pipe attached to the hose bibb, not a flimsy 1/2" copper pipe that extends 16" out of the ground.

Thanks in advance for input.

Last edited:
Also post your zip code.

To advise us of your local weather, and possible sources of new parts or supplies.

Even in some place that might not normally freeze, you want to be able to completely drain that water line all the way back to the house, during winter, just in case of a cold snap.

Also post your zip code.

To advise us of your local weather, and possible sources of new parts or supplies.
Even in some place that might not normally freeze, you want to be able to completely drain that water line all the way back to the house, during winter, just in case of a cold snap.
Also post your zip code.

Located in Central Texas just North of Austin, TX. Faucet comes out of the ground on NORTH side of the house. During winter storm, temp. dropped to freezing and stayed belong freezing for days and days. One night, temp. dropped to almost 0 degrees!!

The copper line that the plumber used is attached directly to the water line that goes from the water meter where the shutoff valve is.

From my invoice: "Dig to expose galvanized water line. Found 3/4' galvanized nipple to be corroded and leaking. Extracted nipple and replaced it with 1/2" copper riser with new hose faucet & vacuum breaker" (whatever that is). I was charged for "standard trip fee" and "Repair on 3/4" galvanized water line with new copper riser & hose faucet."

I envision that the copper line will not be durable enough. If anything touches that copper line, it will bend and break and I would not have installed such a long copper line in that location. $2 hose bibb turned into major work.

Is a "vacuum breaker" something that should be visible to me?? All I see is copper pipe and faucet attached to it.

Last edited:
Pictures are needed.

You can reinforce the copper riser with something pounded into the ground and strapped to it.

Meanwhile, the freezing problem will not go away.

Climate change means those freezes will be coming more often.

Texas will have to adapt.

No more pipes outside the house, above ground, during a freeze.

Plan for it now, when crap hits the fan no plumbers will be available to help you out.

Pictures are needed.

You can reinforce the copper riser with something pounded into the ground and strapped to it.

Meanwhile, the freezing problem will not go away.

Climate change means those freezes will be coming more often.

Texas will have to adapt.

No more pipes outside the house, above ground, during a freeze.

Plan for it now, when crap hits the fan no plumbers will be available to help you out.
I will get pictures as soon as I can.

I agree...no pipe sticking up out of the ground, esp. on the North side of a home, in the winter. Had I been consulted, I would not have agreed to what the plumber did on his own. Totally wrong solution IMO. Money down the drain but I have water.

The pipe riser and hose faucet coming out of the ground are ok, you just need to be able to drain it all the way to the meter, and blow it out with air, so it won’t burst during a freeze.

And any other pipes, water heater, softener, etc that are outside need to be able to be totally drained.

The pipe riser and hose faucet coming out of the ground are ok, you just need to be able to drain it all the way to the meter, and blow it out with air, so it won’t burst during a freeze.

And any other pipes, water heater, softener, etc that are outside need to be able to be totally drained.
There are no other outside pipes.

What do I need to do to be able to drain the line all the way back to the meter and blow it out with air when winter comes?

During the terrible freeze we had in February, some said let faucets drip. Some said don't let them drip. I did not let my outside faucets drip but in February, I did not have a 1/2" copper pipe sticking 16" out of the ground.

Also a picture of your old type. Was it a yard hydrant?

Also a picture of your old type. Was it a yard hydrant?
It was just a standard faucet that could have also been used as a faucet attached to pipe coming out of an outside wall. Plumbers took it away along with old pipe.

Would it make any sense to replace the 1/2" copper pipe with PVC pipe??

I don't mind paying a professional for their work but I want the work done right the first time. $264 isn't going to break me. It's the principle of the thing.

What JG posted is what should be used in yard. Know, they do not go down to a well. Look up Woodford Y34 model. This type is what you need.

I assume the new hoe bib is threaded onto a copper male adapter?

N of Austin?

turn the water off, unscrew the hoe bib
screw a 1/2'' brass elbow and a 1/2'' x6'' brass nipple onto the copper
look around for a 3' chunk of cresote telephone pole
or a old rail road tie
split the wood, chisel out or use a chain saw to cut a channal
in the RR tie.
insulate the pipe, and seal the insulation
encapsulate the piping inside the RR tie with the hose bib sticking out the side

Pics of the situation...

Attachments

• IMG_20210430_121328376 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210430_121328376 (1).jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210430_120848779.jpg
    IMG_20210430_120848779.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210430_121037839_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20210430_121037839_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210430_121328376.jpg