Hose bibb replacement issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll have to dig a little. It screws onto a male adapter and you'll need a little rock.

Your probably going to want the shortest one you can find since it sounds like your water line isn't deep.

This also might require you drive a long stake along side it once the water line is exposed, also since your not very deep. The earth usually holds these up since a good portion is buried. You'll rely on the long stake you drive. Then use some stainless tie wire to marry the steak and the riser.

You can start this video at about 6 min in and see if you want to do it.

You'll have to dig a little. It screws onto a male adapter and you'll need a little rock.

Your probably going to want the shortest one you can find since it sounds like your water line isn't deep.

This also might require you drive a long stake along side it once the water line is exposed, also since your not very deep. The earth usually holds these up since a good portion is buried. You'll rely on the long stake you drive. Then use some stainless tie wire to marry the steak and the riser.

You can start this video at about 6 min in and see if you want to do it.

Thank you so much for this input. The water line is probably no more than 18 inches below ground. So, the stake you mentioned would probably be needed. I will view the video.

You might want to pound in a full 8 foot copper coated grounding rod as your support.
If you get it six or seven feet into the ground, that will be a good ground in case your hydrant and water line get struck by lightning.
And a good sturdy brace for your hydrant.

Otherwise, your shallow water line might not be a good ground for lightning, especially if the soil dries out during a drought etc.
And that lightning surge can travel into the house and fry all your wiring.

Be sure and put a grounding clamp on the rod and the hydrant, and a heavy wire run between them.

You might want to pound in a full 8 foot copper coated grounding rod as your support.
If you get it six or seven feet into the ground, that will be a good ground in case your hydrant and water line get struck by lightning.
And a good sturdy brace for your hydrant.

Otherwise, your shallow water line might not be a good ground for lightning, especially if the soil dries out during a drought etc.
And that lightning surge can travel into the house and fry all your wiring.

Be sure and put a grounding clamp on the rod and the hydrant, and a heavy wire run between them.
Thank you very much for this advice. I was not aware of lightning hazard.

Plumber was out to my house today to address a gas furnace issue. After he took care of that issue, hopefully, I showed him the hose bib debacle and asked him what he thought of the work. He was totally unimpressed, as am I, and said he could do the job right for around $200. I respectfully declined his offer seeing as how I already paid $264 to the plumbing company that screwed up the job the first time around. I will hopefully implement some of the solutions posted here for far less than $200.

Latest posts

Back