Epoxy coating and similar reliability?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Joe

Reaction score
I am looking at a house that has epoxy coated lines. It has a 10 year warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with the long term reliability of this?

I would think that it should be fine, but, does anyone have long term experience with this or similar

Thank you! :)

8E6DDB670BB9433AA856CC77F5B134A6.jpg IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0119.JPG I bought a condo unit almost 2 years ago in a building that developed pinhole leaks in the copper domestic water plumbing and, instead of replacing the plumbing, the condo corporation tried to fix the plumbing by lining the plumbing throughout the building with epoxy installed by NuFlow about 10 years ago. The epoxy lining failed within a few years of application and has caused very serious problems with particles and pieces of the epoxy breaking off and plugging pipe, recirculation pumps, fixtures, and appliances, reduced hot water temperature because of plugged recirculation lines, etc., which is costing a small fortune to remedy on a continuous basis because the condo corporation board has decided to only replace plugged pipe, fixtures, appliances (or parts that are plugged with epoxy), etc., instead of biting the bullet and replacing all of the plumbing with new pipe which should have been done instead of applying epoxy to it as a supposedly effective and cheaper remedy to pinhole leaks. The replacement of the epoxy affected plumbing also requires extensive damage to walls and ceilings much of which is covered with tile, cabinets, etc., substantially adding to the cost. Because of the failure of the epoxy lining of the plumbing pipes, the condo corporation is currently involved in a lawsuit against NuFlow.

I have never heard of lining water mains,with epoxy .has yourcondo noard done any research to see were else its been used,and what problems have come up any where else is tnere a class action suit??????
Is there a way to put a strainer and or a filter to catch the debris

I have never heard of lining water mains,with epoxy .has yourcondo noard done any research to see were else its been used,and what problems have come up any where else is tnere a class action suit??????
Is there a way to put a strainer and or a filter to catch the debris

Before the previous condo board, over 10 years ago, decided to remedy the pinhole leaks in the plumbing they and and the then property manager, who is still the property manager, were convinced to allow the application of epoxy coating by NuFlo into the plumbing because of a very convincing demonstration of the process and result. The problem was that the demonstration was entirely misleading, it took place at NuFlo's premises where a horizontal 10 foot length of new 1 inch copper pipe was treated which is not the same situation of the condominium building's domestic water plumbing risers which are vertical, over 10 stories in length, and the copper pipe had been in use for almost 20 years and was internally coated with calcium, corrosion, and other deposits. Subsequent condo boards have had to deal with the problems and, some time ago, it was discovered that other high-rise buildings which had epoxy applied to their plumbing have experienced the same problems and have spent small fortunes on plumbing repairs and replacement and have initiated law suits against NuFlow.

There is virtually no way to filter the particles and pieces of epoxy to prevent damage and clogging and other problems as it breaks down/disintegrates. For the past 3 weeks, a team of plumbers has been working on fixing problems caused in two of the 28 domestic hot water risers in the building. Initially, they repaired one problem but that caused many other problems because of particles and pieces of epoxy from doing that repair including cutting off hot water to my condo unit's master bathroom tap which did not have a problem previously. I and many others in the building have had to endure the shutting off of both the hot and cold water supply to our master bathrooms almost every day for 3 weeks. Every time one problem was fixed one or more other problems arose. Finally, late this afternoon, hot water was restored to my condo unit's master bathroom sink faucet. I am not expecting that to last or other problems will occur. The epoxy lining of domestic water plumbing pipe should be banned.

Back