Temporary Surge (After Running/Closing Hot Water)?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No surge trouble at all since the expansion thank was installed, which is great!

One thing that has happened recently though is that after the install the water heater operated as normal, however about 2 months after, I noticed the hottest setting on all house fixtures was no longer as hot as it used to be.

I adjusted the thermostat up the first time it did this, and the water got really hot again (like one would have expected it to)...then here just recently, it happened again, water not nearly as hot. Any ideas what could cause this? I assume it's probably lay correlated with the expansion tank install, as it never did this before.

Worth noting, when I was soldering the expansion tank, I apparently used a bit too much solder, as I had little pieces of solder end up in my sink aerators. One time the water flow was severely obstructed going to one bathroom faucet, but actuating the water valve with the aerator flushed out the solder bits...and I hadn't had any issues with flow since.

The expansion tank has no affect on the temp of the water.
Correct, I'm wondering if it was something that occured during install that has caused these strange temperature fluctuations.

What is odd is the first time it happened, I turned the thermostat up slightly, and the water got hot. I then returned it to it's original setting, and the temperature normalized again like usual. Fast forward about 2 months though, and temperature is lower again. I have a feeling if I go down and adjust the temperature up, and then turn it back down to the normal setting, that I'd buy myself another 2 months or so of consistently hot water.

Just seems strange.

Use a thermometer to determine how hot your water is at the closest fixture after the burner turns off and then post numbers. Describing it as “ hot “ or “ not as hot “ doesn’t help me.

You know theres a range the water heaters thermostat will stay satisfied. So if the water heater burner shuts off when the water reaches 130 degrees the water heater may not turn back on until the water reaches 120….. so it can depend on how long after the burner shuts off you check the temp.

Use a thermometer to determine how hot your water is at the closest fixture after the burner turns off and then post numbers. Describing it as “ hot “ or “ not as hot “ doesn’t help me.

You know theres a range the water heaters thermostat will stay satisfied. So if the water heater burner shuts off when the water reaches 130 degrees the water heater may not turn back on until the water reaches 120….. so it can depend on how long after the burner shuts off you check the temp.
I just cracked the thermostat dial upwards ever so slightly and the water is very hot again...127 degrees. I just turned it back down to my usual setting (after a full heating cycle) and expect my normal setting will take hold again just fine.

Historically on my usual setting, it'd be approximately 115 degrees at the hottest. If I had to guess, when I notice the heat diminishing, it is probably around 100 degrees at the hotest...until I fiddle with the thermostat dial again like I just did.

Seems like this could be an issue with the thermostat? I just have a hard time believing a water heater from 2012 all of the sudden would develop a fault in the thermostat only two months after I coincidentally did the expansion tank install.

I personally have my water temp set at 130. I don’t go by a thermostat, I use a thermometer at the end of the heating cycle at the closest fixture to the water heater, in my case that’s about 3’ away.

You have a 12 year old water heater and your suprised the thermostat might be bad? That suprises me...... Most
12 year old water heaters are lying in the scrap yard.

Can you just get a new thermostat to try ? Easy enough to install.
Yep, is think that would be straightforward enough and likely the next logical solution. Since "resetting" the thermostat dial the other day, water temperature is back to normal and consistent. Very odd that thermostat seems to "goes to sleep" after a month or two, requiring another movement upward and then back to the original position on the thermostat dial.

I would also try a new thermostat like Ludington mentioned. Are you turning up the top or bottom stat?

I would also try a new thermostat like Ludington mentioned. Are you turning up the top or bottom stat?
Just the main temp control on the bottom of the unit.

You can see my current (historical setting) in the attached photo. When water temperature seems to drop, I turn the dial up to the A setting, the burner comes on, runs a full cycle, then I turn it back to the pictured setting for 2 or so months without issue...then I have to repeat the above process.

Attachments

• 20240517_121913.JPG
    20240517_121913.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Just as a note, I have never seen my upper element turn on. It is a 4500, where the bottom is 5500. The only time I've ever seen that 4500, is when it's a complete drain, then refill so it's starting from scratch. And then it's on fo 20 minutes and then around 40 for the 5500 to finish.

Just as a note, I have never seen my upper element turn on. It is a 4500, where the bottom is 5500. The only time I've ever seen that 4500, is when it's a complete drain, then refill so it's starting from scratch. And then it's on fo 20 minutes and then around 40 for the 5500 to finish.
If you deplete the tank of all hot water then the upper element has to fire first and be satisfied or the lower element will never fire.

So when you have a tank of cold water, the upper element always fires first. If the upper element doesn’t fire then you’ll have a tank of cold water.

One thing I forgot to mention too, is that after the expansion tank install, I now get a loud, single "thud" from the heater from time to time. This usually happens a few minutes after 5 gallons or more of hot water are used. Not sure if it's related in anyway to the occasional temperature drops...but thought I'd mention it.

The thud was never heard before the expansion tank install.

4 months prior to the expansion tank install, I drained, and flushed the tank to check for sediment. I ran the discharge hose through a fine mesh strainer, and literally only got 2 tiny flecks of sediment...so I don't believe the thud is a sediment issue.

I have never seen copper connector on gas line coming in. Am I missing something?
Where do you live?

I have never seen copper connector on gas line coming in. Am I missing something?
Where do you live?
Iowa...it's all copper gas line throughout the house, and has been since about 1970.

Latest posts

Back