Can Anyone ID This?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sven993

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have been attempting to remove an outside spigot stem, as it will not shut-off anymore. After removing the handle and the packing nut, I see a hard surrounding part (washer?) that
the stem is inserted through. I have tried turning the stem counter-clockwise and pulling on it, but it won't budge. I am afraid to yank really hard, although I have read account of
plumbers doing that with success. Any input on this dilemma would be appreciated!

Sven

Attachments

• PXL_20231017_175308358.jpg
    PXL_20231017_175308358.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That looks tricky. It seems you would have do damage some of the wall to replace whole thing so I see why you want to fix what is there. I don't have any good information on this but wish I could help. I know it looks like crap but I appreciate at my house that they "stubbed out" the copper pipe before hose bibs so I have room to make repairs.

It should pull out of the body. It may take quite a bit of force. I would be prepared to replace in case it goes badly.

Thank you both for the input. I might try tapping that surrounding part, to perhaps get it loose and then attempt removal.
Assuming I can get it out, can you put any brand of stem back in that is the right length, or are they specific to the manufacturer?

They're usually manufacturer specific. Without seeing more of the bib my guess is a Mueller/B&K.

Here is a pic of the side with some markings on it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_164300306.jpg
    PXL_20230906_164300306.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Seriously! Weirdly, I bought that second handle/breaker kit by just a guess. You can see them in the picture. Hey, Twowaxhack,
That piece the stem is inserted through, is that supposed to come out. It seems immovable. Although I haven't used a lot of
force on the stem, as I fear I may rupture something else. Very thankful for your assistance!

You have to pull straight out. It has orings on the inside that swell and they can be hard to pull out.

Get some silicone plumbers grease to lube up the new one before you install it.

Make sure no parts/orings are left in the valve when you pull the old stem out.

Thank you both for the input. I might try tapping that surrounding part, to perhaps get it loose and then attempt removal.
Assuming I can get it out, can you put any brand of stem back in that is the right length, or are they specific to the manufacturer?

What is the brand?
You have ordered parts? Interesting. I would spray some wd 40 or some type of rust buster as it appears to be rusted.
Spray and let us soak as much as you can. As an outside chance it could be left handed threads so try turning both directions as a test. Just. Don't break it

So, an unfortunate development. After some tugging I got the stem out, and it turns out to be a 90C, not a 95C. I have to order
the replacement parts. Here are pics of the stem. Besides replacing the spring and the tip with the o-ring, does it look okay to you guys? I also destroyed the fiber washer at the other end putting it back in place. Will any rubber washer suffice as a replacement?

Thanks as always.

Attachments

• 20240527_105000.jpg
    20240527_105000.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240527_105013.jpg
    20240527_105013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Well, I turned the handle around 15 times to the left, and the stem was not backing out, so I started tugging and slightly
rotating the stem back and forth, and it slowly came out about 1/2" an inch, then it popped free. I am wondering (after seeing
a YouTube video of a guy with a 90C rotating the stem counter-clockwise and it was coming out) if this one has stripped threads
or something?

Latest posts

Back