Diverter Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Reaction score
Hi, I have two showers that both have leaking diverters although all of the stems were replaced in 2020 (supposedly). Both showers are the 3 handle type. I matched the units to a Danco 9 in the hardware store. My diverter doesn't fit in unless I screw it to a shorter position which makes my diverter stem at least a quarter inch shorter than my cold/hot water stems. That being said, the hot and cold water operate great when running through the tub nozzle (no leaks at the hot/cold handles). When the diverter allows water to the shower head, about half of the stream comes out of the tub nozzle and half through the shower head. I thought this was a washer issue, so I purchased a replacement -- perhaps the wrong size (#11) or wrong location for the washer? I appreciate any advice as I only know enough plumbing knowledge to be dangerous.

Attached photos show the diverter opening, diverter with worn washer, diverter with washers side by side, and diverter with new washer installed.

Attachments

• 1216210842.jpg
    1216210842.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 1216211009.jpg
    1216211009.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 1216211009a.jpg
    1216211009a.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 1216211010.jpg
    1216211010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I feel like I matched the brand. Are you saying the washer size is wrong for this model of stem?

If you know the brand name of the valve use those replacement parts, not danco, if you don't take a picture of the whole valve and show us, someone may know it or bring that diverter and a picture of the valve to a plumbing supply house the guys at the counter usually have seen alot

It’s a Sayco

I work on those all the time.

This stem is put together properly except the o ring I circled appears to be too large. The o ring that goes in this location is thin.

You must remove the old oring out of the valve from the old diverter stem. They have a habit of staying in the valve.

0D1F4A49-B8D9-4719-AC52-9599D0B2B683.jpeg

Back