Replacing Moen 1255 cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronml

Reaction score
The 1255 cartridge on my Moen kitchen sink faucet is squeaking when turning the
water of/off and when moving the handle right/left to adjust temperature.
Nothing leaks or drips. Can it be lubricated with something? If not, Moen says
that when replacing the cartridge a new nut that holds it must be also be used.
I presume they say this because a new nut is less likely to work itself loose,
but wouldn't a drop of Loctite accomplish the same thing?

The cartridge comes with a new nut, why not replace it? The old one would already be off. Moen should send you a new cartridge under warranty. I doubt it can be lubricated to stop the noise, it's a ceramic cartridge.

Frankly, that concept for a kitchen cartridge was ill suited for good mechanical design. With age, the o-rings become resistant making the handle harder and harder to use, just like all the 1225 fixtures.
Save up for a nice new faucet.
1255 not 1225 👍🏻

At least originally the cartridge did not come with a new nut but as of 2022 one is apparently included. HD shows it with a nut but Lowes specifically says it is not included.

Moen has not responded to my email of several days ago. This faucet replaced a Moen that rusted out after several years. I had bought that one new but they were reluctant to replace it because even though I registered it with them at time of purchase I did not have original receipt. What's the point of registering it? They finally agreed to replace it when I paid $25 for "shipping/handling".

That plastic nut can crack and flood your house. Use the new one like Moen directs.

At least originally the cartridge did not come with a new nut but as of 2022 one is apparently included. HD shows it with a nut but Lowes specifically says it is not included.

Moen has not responded to my email of several days ago. This faucet replaced a Moen that rusted out after several years. I had bought that one new but they were reluctant to replace it because even though I registered it with them at time of purchase I did not have original receipt. What's the point of registering it? They finally agreed to replace it when I paid $25 for "shipping/handling".
Call Moen- I had a question last week and it only took a few minutes to reach Customer Support.

Latest posts

Back