Copper water supply line running vertically against stud

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howard01

Reaction score
Remodel of bathroom. Given the new wall framing along with existing plumbing (which is for bathroom on the other side of this one) I need to have a corner nailer for the drywall --however if i install it (see the proposed location in green --it would extend up to ceiling) as proposed it would be directly against the water supply for the other bathroom. So question is can i have a stud up against copper water line (all be it for 24") and if so do i need to have a protection plate run the entire length of the pipe (24") which would then not allow me to nail the drywall over this 24" area.

Attachments

• framingplumbing.png
    framingplumbing.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
From the picture, it appears that your pipe will be between the nailer stud and the next stud along the wall. If so, by code you are not required to protect the pipe with a protector plate. Protector plates are only required when a pipe goes through a hole in a stud, rafter or similar member like the bottom plate of that wall. And just to be safe, install the drywall on that wall first to keep the screws as far away from the pipe as possible.

Back