Constantly running dual flush toilet (only when lid is on)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberr567

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I moved into a newly renovated home about a year ago. One of the renovations was that they put a glacier bay dual flush toilet in the half bath. It is about a year and a half old.
However, the toilet runs constantly. This ONLY happens if the lid is on the toilet. If I leave my lid off, the toilet functions normally.

I've had two plumbers look at it and I'm pretty sure they both just adjusted the water level. The second plumber wasn't here for the toilet, and basically just gave it a quick look for free. I know the second plumber and he also later suggested offsetting the water with a bottle, but that did not work either.

I took myself to YouTube and looked up things I could do...so I tried soap in the center mechanism thing (the video shows removing the button, but my buttons are not removable so I just went directly on top of the center flushing mechanism) and I tried flipping the washer ring around (although the ring is completely new and that was probably a waste of time).
Videos I watched for your knowledge...

I might just get a new toilet at this point, I'm so frustrated with it because it just looks stupid to have to have to top off the toilet alllll the time. And I don't want to keep bothering my friend plumber to come over (we don't live close together) and I don't want to have to keep paying for a plumber to come over for it to just not be fixed.
I just thought that maybe I'd try a plumber forum first.

Do you have any suggestions for what could be happening? If I lift the lid while the toilet is running, it immediately stops, so it makes me feel it is related to the button extenders touching the flush mechanism buttons (I hope that makes sense. I am great at explaining things). I attached pictures of the toilet interior and lid interior. I'm willing to try anything that I won't risk breaking the toilet doing myself. I have a handy father I could have stop over to do something more complicated if need be.

Attachments

• 20200904_133500.jpg
    20200904_133500.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200904_133503.jpg
    20200904_133503.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Can you just cut 1/4 inch off each of the extenders?

Or glue on some 1/4 inch pads all around the rim of the tank, so the lid sits a little bit higher?

Also, I see screwdriver slots in there, so maybe you can just screw them in more to shorten them?

You probably would need to loosen those white lock nuts first.

Also, I see screwdriver slots in there, so maybe you can just screw them in more to shorten them?

You probably would need to loosen those white lock nuts first.
Ah that's something else I actually tried too (screwing them in more). They're as tight as they can go.
Good call on the spacer/trimming them, though. I am trying to put a spacer in to test it out and I'll probably cut them if this works. 1 question though - do you know what those are called? Maybe I can buy shorter ones if this works?

They are called doohickies, aka thingamajigs.

Cut off 1/8 inch at a time.

And you could probably unscrew them a little, if you cut off too much.

Put at least four spacers around the rim for your test.

You don’t want the tank lid uneven, and if it falls off you are probably out about $50.00 at least.

They are called doohickies, aka thingamajigs.

Cut off 1/8 inch at a time.

And you could probably unscrew them a little, if you cut off too much.

Put at least four spacers around the rim for your test.

You don’t want the tank lid uneven, and if it falls off you are probably out about $50.00 at least.
Thanks for the heads up! I will likely cut them today or tomorrow. This might actually work and how I didn't think of it I don't know. :) Will keep you posted.

Don’t cut them off. I just installed this toilet in my new house the 2 plungers need to just barely touch the top of the flush mechanism. Turn the white nut to loosen then adjust the rods to just touch the top of the flush mechanism. First turn the lid push button mechanism 180 degrees , you have the blue touching the white etc. there is a lock ring to hold this to the lid .

And get the water bottle out of the tank , don’t make it anymore low flow than needed.

Latest posts

Back