Bathtub spout twists but cannot be removed, Moen patent 3419914

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you could just replace the lift up diverter. Unscrew the knob ( #11 in diagram above) and push the #10 thingy out . There is or should be a rubber washer, (#s 13 and 14) which seals off spout and sends water to showerhead. repair or replace.

BTW, I once did a repair on a similar situation where the homeowner had attached the spout with a Sharkbite coupling. Hmmm

Or you could just replace the lift up diverter. Unscrew the knob ( #11 in diagram above) and push the #10 thingy out . There is or should be a rubber washer, (#s 13 and 14) which seals off spout and sends water to showerhead. repair or replace.

BTW, I once did a repair on a similar situation where the homeowner had attached the spout with a Sharkbite coupling. Hmmm
LOL...that had crossed my mind.(the Sharkbite)

For anyone else that stumbles on this thread via search engines... this is exactly the fix that did it for me.

I Googled the patent number I saw on the bottom of the spout after the diverter went out looking whether it was twist off or set screw and found this thread. I, like @Celluloidheros, broke the spout loose turning counter clockwise only to find that it spins and spins without backing away from the wall. As @Jeff Handy posts above, the terrible design is a metal female receiver molded into plastic on the entirely plastic spout. So, any application of this spout over the years will most likely end in breaking the plastic inside and resulting in it just spinning as it did for me and and @Celluloidheros.

We used a Dremel to carefully cut the plastic body away from the nipple and then finished by spreading it open with pliers and screwing the metal receiver off. There was no tape on mine which did not help with easier removal. I would still try to spin it to see if you get lucky, but I hope this helps someone else make the decision to be invasive right off the bat and get the job done sooner!

Back